How close can I be?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mol1jb

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2014
Central IL
So now on my install I am calculating how much chimney length Ill need. 2x 3ft pieces will get me from the ceiling through the roof even with the peak of the roof. Now I beleve the rule is 3ft above the roof penetration and 2ft higher than the peak. But if I am 2ft above the peak at only 2.5ft above the roof penetration, would that be acceptable?

You'll need to meet or exceed the minimum requirement. Does the chimney pipe come in 4 ft. sections? If so, go with one of them. Otherwise add a foot or more. Extra chimney helps the stove perform better in mild weather.

What will the total flue system height be from stove top to chimney cap meeting code requirements?

You'll need to meet or exceed the minimum requirement. Does the chimney pipe come in 4 ft. sections? If so, go with one of them. Otherwise add a foot or more. Extra chimney helps the stove perform better in mild weather.

What will the total flue system height be from stove top to chimney cap meeting code requirements?

The PE manual states minimum chimney height of 15' measured from the bottom of the unit. I have that met. I also have the 2' taller than the roof peak met. I am just about 6in shy of 3' above the roof penetration. I guess I never understood why there was a requirement of 3' above the roof penetration.

The PE manual states minimum chimney height of 15' measured from the bottom of the unit. I have that met. I also have the 2' taller than the roof peak met. I am just about 6in shy of 3' above the roof penetration. I guess I never understood why there was a requirement of 3' above the roof penetration.

Well for starters it is not 2' above the peak it is 2' above anything with in 10' or 3' above the roof penetration whichever is greater. So you need 6 more inches. Honestly you will probably be fine being that close but it does not meet code.

Well for starters it is not 2' above the peak it is 2' above anything with in 10' or 3' above the roof penetration whichever is greater. So you need 6 more inches. Honestly you will probably be fine being that close but it does not meet code.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes good sense

I guess I never understood why there was a requirement of 3' above the roof penetration.

Every roof is different, every location is, too, regarding wind direction and speeds and so on. Wind blowing over the roof ridge line and/or around obstructions near or on the roof creates turbulence. Even a hillside near and upwind of the roof can cause this. Or another building. If the chimney is too short, the opening can be located within that turbulent zone and this causes problems with draft [or it can] and other things. You need the top of the chimney to be up and out of that turbulent zone.

The 2' above anything on the roof within 10' [some sources say 3'] is a generalization. Sometimes 2' or 3' isn't enough.

Every roof is different, every location is, too, regarding wind direction and speeds and so on. Wind blowing over the roof ridge line and/or around obstructions near or on the roof creates turbulence. Even a hillside near and upwind of the roof can cause this. Or another building. If the chimney is too short, the opening can be located within that turbulent zone and this causes problems with draft [or it can] and other things. You need the top of the chimney to be up and out of that turbulent zone.

The 2' above anything on the roof within 10' [some sources say 3'] is a generalization. Sometimes 2' or 3' isn't enough.

Thanks for the information Steve. It is always nice to know the science behind the rules.

chimney location.png

Status
Not open for further replies.