How Close To Brick Wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zulujos

Apr 26, 2017
spain
I live in Spain. The houses are built with clay earthquake blocks that fit together tightly. My question is this; how close can a high output stove be placed to a brick/block wall? We have a new house with a very large open plan living area. We really want to install the Invicta Presage which is a high output stove. It is top vented only. The ceiling opening is only16 mm from the wall so unless we install some sort of transition to move it forward I'm concerned that is too close. Would a heat shield help with this or possibly a combination of both transition and heat shield? Or am I overthinking the whole situation?

If the wall is noncombustible you can put it as close as you want to. The listed clearances are for distances to things that can catch fire.

Yes, If there are no combustibles like window frames, trim, doors or other wood pieces within the combustible clearance range for the stove then the wall shouldn't be an issue.

In the US, we require a minimum of 8" solid masonry between a fireplace and anything directly touching that same masonry that is combustible on the other side of it.
So to have a stove right against a clay block wall you have to be sure that nothing is combustible in the middle of the block (like insulation) or anything on the other side of the block since it conducts heat.
It is best to contact your local inspection authority and ask them before doing any work. *also remember that even though the stove can possibly go against the wall, depending how you install your chimney, can lead to other clearance from combustible's issues.

I can't speak for newer stoves, but 3 inch clearance was recommended for air circulation around older stoves due to retaining too much heat without air flow. This portion of the stove remains hot while the front cools much quicker causing uneven expansion and contraction breaking welds. The design and material of the stove made with larger steel sheets or larger cast iron parts makes them more susceptible to warping or cracking. Other designs (rear vent) developed fatigue cracks around outlet pipe. They are designed to radiate heat away evenly.
Intense heat is also detrimental to masonry. Hence the firebrick lining in fireplaces. An exterior masonry wall during extreme cold can crack with a stove cranking nearby on the other side. Stoves with baffles to direct heat forward and away from the rear and exhaust seem to be more damage resistant.

I can't speak for newer stoves, but 3 inch clearance was recommended for air circulation around older stoves due to retaining too much heat without air flow. This portion of the stove remains hot while the front cools much quicker causing uneven expansion and contraction breaking welds. The design and material of the stove made with larger steel sheets or larger cast iron parts makes them more susceptible to warping or cracking. Other designs (rear vent) developed fatigue cracks around outlet pipe. They are designed to radiate heat away evenly.
Intense heat is also detrimental to masonry. Hence the firebrick lining in fireplaces. An exterior masonry wall during extreme cold can crack with a stove cranking nearby on the other side. Stoves with baffles to direct heat forward and away from the rear and exhaust seem to be more damage resistant.
Very good point, I think many of us over look that issue when talking about putting a free standing stove into a fireplace, also serves well for people that install inserts and insist on insulating the whole fire box of the fireplace

Initially I did not consider this an issue. But I contacted a stove company by email with questions about proximity to brick walls. I wasn't really concerned for I currently have a cast iron wood stove very close to a brick wall for the last 10 years with no issue. They were rather vague so that raised a red flag. To answer the question, no, there's no insulation in the block.