How cold have you seen it before?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, How does the folks in sub zero deal with cabin fever in the days of cold? Lots of movies and trips to the stove???

Did you see the report of high rate of births last month, nine months after the blizzard hit in the DC area?

north of 60 said:
mtcates said:
I was in the air force and 15 years ago the Air Force canceled all flights if the temperature was -40 or colder. I think it had something to do with the hydraulic flight controls.

It gets much colder than that up in the air @ 20,000 ft right now. Hmmmmm and their still flying. Need a pilot on board here.

While flying the plane is already warm. If it stays parked all day and night all the metal and fluids are cold. Thats what the -40 rule was. Planes have crashed before because of the cold. I had a flight one day in alaska and the plane sat all night at -27, when the pilot set the flaps for takeoff they were so slow it was hard to believe. At some point they wouldn't work as it would take more pressure to push the fluid then the pump would supply.

Dunno if it counts but I remember a day it was -75 with the wind chill in college (Bowling Green, Ohio). Everywhere cancelled school except for BG, my first class was a 2 mile walk. I didn't make it to class...but I did manage to get to the beer distributor and bring a keg back to warm the boys up.

mtcates said:
north of 60 said:
mtcates said:
I was in the air force and 15 years ago the Air Force canceled all flights if the temperature was -40 or colder. I think it had something to do with the hydraulic flight controls.

It gets much colder than that up in the air @ 20,000 ft right now. Hmmmmm and their still flying. Need a pilot on board here.

While flying the plane is already warm. If it stays parked all day and night all the metal and fluids are cold. Thats what the -40 rule was. Planes have crashed before because of the cold. I had a flight one day in alaska and the plane sat all night at -27, when the pilot set the flaps for takeoff they were so slow it was hard to believe. At some point they wouldn't work as it would take more pressure to push the fluid then the pump would supply.

Thanks

north of 60 said:
Dakotas Dad said:
I have seen pee, pile up. Korea.

I havent seen that at -55f. Must of been cold, or was that the outside urinal for everyone and it was layering up?

I was a tanker. That was outside, on to the ground, from the back deck of an M1. Tankers don't generally touch the ground with their feet if they don't have to. Nor do they go far from the tank if they can help it.

:cheese:

Dunno if it counts but I remember a day it was -75 with the wind chill in college (Bowling Green, Ohio). Everywhere cancelled school except for BG, my first class was a 2 mile walk. I didn’t make it to class…but I did manage to get to the beer distributor and bring a keg back to warm the boys up.

That might have been the old way they used to calculate WC, a few years ago scientist discovered that the way they were calculating was incorrect. The newer wind chill charts are not as cold as the old charts. Still probably pretty cold though.

my brother lives in gorham, nh, which is right next to mount washington. just for giggles, i check the weather there on occasion. a typical winter day would be something like -25 to -45 degrees, wind around 40mph, gusts to 80mph, 5-8 inches of snow. check for yourself this winter, its crazy there. they have a weather observation something there.

my brother lives in gorham, nh, which is right next to mount washington. just for giggles, i check the weather there on occasion. a typical winter day would be something like -25 to -45 degrees, wind around 40mph, gusts to 80mph, 5-8 inches of snow. check for yourself this winter, its crazy there. they have a weather observation something there.

Thats near where I expereinced one of the -35 days, at the Mt Washington Hotel, I think its in Bretton Woods, NH. The top of Mt Washington has is its own weather, crazy winter weather. I read a blog in the winter of one of the meteorologist that works up there, the pics are amazing.

-35 degrees two years ago at my old house. We lived in a valley that always got colder. I had a Big Jack furnace going and the chimney looked like a "Big Boy" locomotive at full steam that morning.

smoke eater said:

Doesn't Mt Washington hold the world wind speed record? I thought it was over 200MPh.

weatherguy said:

Thats near where I expereinced one of the -35 days, at the Mt Washington Hotel, I think its in Bretton Woods, NH. The top of Mt Washington has is its own weather, crazy winter weather. I read a blog in the winter of one of the meteorologist that works up there, the pics are amazing.

Mine was -25 at Bretton Woods. That was at night. It was dead calm and crystal clear. The snow was like baby powder. It was actually pretty amazing. We skied all day at 0 degrees, again not much wind. Great skiing.

-25f in 1977. i remember using a scarf to breathe through so i wouldnt cough at how dry the air was. and i remember keeping the box stove going. one of the late 70's winters we ran out of heating oil. my mom called the furnace repair guy and he told her " mam, your furnace is working, you just used all the oil in your tank". also recall the heating system shutting down for only a short time before it cycled on again. i often wonder if the up comming year will bring a return of the bitter cold we had in those years and try to always have extra wood on hand just incase. pete

I have a pretty poor memory . . . so I don't remember how cold is the coldest I've ever seen it.

I do know this was a mighty cold fire . . . fortunately for me I'm not on the line.

This was a fire in the Masonic Lodge . . . due to the cold temps the fire was still burning, but the outside was encased in ice . . . and there were snow drifts 5 or 6 feet high in the street since the deck guns attempting to put out the fire were almost acting like snow guns due to the freezing cold. These pics may be familiar to some of you since the photos were shown nation-wide at the time.

Attachments

• chev8.jpg
    chev8.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 195
  • chev9.jpg
    chev9.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 195
  • chev10.jpg
    chev10.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 208
  • chev11.jpg
    chev11.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 193
  • E1.jpg
    E1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 198
  • holly1.jpg
    holly1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 185
  • holly4.jpg
    holly4.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 195
  • tn_masonicsmall.jpg
    tn_masonicsmall.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 196
Here are a few more pics of the Masonic Hall fire . . . I don't get a chance to show these much so I may as well take advantage of this thread and show them.

Attachments

• Masonsmaller1.jpg
    Masonsmaller1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 204
  • IMGP1488.jpg
    IMGP1488.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 187
  • IMGP1464.jpg
    IMGP1464.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 181
  • icecovered.jpg
    icecovered.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 192
  • P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 194
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 194
  • pear1.jpg
    pear1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 175
  • pear2.jpg
    pear2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 177
I'm amused easily but... It seems that street sign is either "Winter" or "Water" street... somehow that just seems 'right' eh?

That must have been a heck of a fire to fight - at some point it must have turned into a "let it burn out just keep it from spreading" case eh?

Seems all that ice out there would just make it too dangerous a scene to work.

At my house it's been -25. In the low part of valley it's been -32. (in the 3 years I've been there)

My father in law sent me this pic from Alaska from when he was working up there...

21ce5i9.jpg

The coldest I have ever seen here where I live is maybe -5F.

The coldest I have ever been outside in was around -20 or -25F on an Okpik winter camping expedition in Maine when I was a boy scout. We built quinzees to sleep in that kept the inside temp above zero but MAN did it suck to have to go pee in the middle of the night!

During the day we would take our lunch and canteen and hang them over our shoulders and under our coat to thaw them out. At dinner we had to use solid fuel tables to preheat our white gas stoves to get them to light.

Slow1 said:
I'm amused easily but... It seems that street sign is either "Winter" or "Water" street... somehow that just seems 'right' eh?

That must have been a heck of a fire to fight - at some point it must have turned into a "let it burn out just keep it from spreading" case eh?

Seems all that ice out there would just make it too dangerous a scene to work.

Good eye . . . Water Street.

And you are correct . . . they called in a crane with a wrecking ball the next day . . . even then the place continued to smolder. I think they were on scene for 2 1/2 days with that fire.

That cold weather firefighting is tough. I am not a firefighter, but my neighbor's house burned on January, 4 1980. I think it was in the single digits that morning. Ice everywhere. Never forget that day. I can't think of it being much less than -5 °F or so in my lifetime here in lower NY. After a couple days of single digits, the 20s feel like a heatwave.

The coldest I've seen here (lower MI) and where I used to live in Illinois is -25 F.

Been up to Ely, MN to cross-country ski between Christmas and New Years many times. One night it got to - 40F. Got a nerd award from my relatives for knowing (and showing them convincingly) that -40 F = -40 C. When it warmed up to -30 we went x-country skiing for a bit. It was dead calm, but my sister-in-law still got a touch of frostbite on her nose, so we called it a day at -25.

-10 around here. When I worked in ski country it was -20 and below often, cold when the wind blows. Wind is the worst.

BLIMP - 25 September 2010 03:46 PM
if the piipses dont burast, ir aint thaht cooold

are you sure you’re from maine?

Sure he is, he's a Maniac!

weatherguy said:
BLIMP - 25 September 2010 03:46 PM
if the piipses dont burast, ir aint thaht cooold

are you sure you’re from maine?

Sure he is, he's a Maniac!

Yep, he needs a little 50 below himself, it might cure his P000Kups that he leaves all over these threads. :lol: :zip: LOL

Well I remember back in the winter of ought six it was so cold that...

Status
Not open for further replies.