How cold have you seen it before?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Growing up in da Yoop I think I saw -35F a few times, the lakes generally protected us from the colder stuff. Usually on a calm, clear night. But -15 and walking into a stiff headwind is way worse, had to do that a lot heading to class. Playing broomball with a helmet once in -10 or so my ears froze, luckily not to the point of frostbite. Since I moved to the DC area I don't think I've seen it quite drop below 0, but the way the news goes on about the "Arctic Blast" whenever the wind chill drops into the teens or single digits is just precious.

I agree that cold and wind is miserable but if I wear the right clothing I don't feel the wind at all. While on that alaska trip I talked about in the original posting, I got my chance to feel the wind on a 4 day snow machine trip. We camped out every night in cabins. Temperatures ranged from -10 to -44 and sometimes the wind was 25 mph not to mention induced wind chill on the snow machine. You can't feel the wind if you wear a gortex shell and snowmobile helmet. You feel the winds force but not the biting cold. I guess its not practical to wear that type of clothing on a daily basis though.

Status
Not open for further replies.