how did you hang your fireplace mantel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ymurf

Jan 8, 2012
Missouri
I am getting ready to stone my fireplace but before I start I need to know how to hang the mantel.Planning on using a wood beam of some kind. What do I need to do to hang this.How did you guys hang your mantels?Pictures?

Here is a pic of mine during construction. I used 10" wedge anchors into the block, then bored into the lateral support from the end as well as the top, allowing me to get a nut and washer on the bolt. Then I used 5/16 tapcons to anchor the bottom of the 45 degree brace.
I have since done a little remodel to the opening.

Attachments

• IMG_5869.JPG
    IMG_5869.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_5937.JPG
    IMG_5937.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 552
Here is the new and improved fireplace!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 327
Why did you take the insert out?

After I put the Cape Cod in we didn't use it. Since I had no need for it I sold it to a friend. We have really been enjoying the open fire on cool evenings!

There are different ways to support the mantel, the most common being on a ledge with side brackets. One method is a french cleat on the back. Another would be bolting anchor plates to the backside of the mantel, make shallow recesses in the cement board for the plates, then attaching them to the studs and rock, brick or tile veneer over them. Here's a helpful guide that may provide more ideas.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-hang-a-fireplace-mantel#.URfvlSXzKi0

After I put the Cape Cod in we didn't use it. Since I had no need for it I sold it to a friend. We have really been enjoying the open fire on cool evenings!

Looks great. I'll bet it's particularly nice on rainy, cold evenings when a fire pit is out of the question.

Looks great. I'll bet it's particularly nice on rainy, cold evenings when a fire pit is out of the question.

Thanks. The mantel is a 8"x12" red oak log that's 8' long . It weighed about 350 lbs. when I put it up there. I had to make sure those supports weren't going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.