How difficult is replacing the top auger bearing on the Englander 25-PDV ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
Englander is sending me a new bearing for the top auger system, the top auger motor assembly wobbles even though the setscrew is really well tighten.

I sent them an email stating this problem and they're sending a new bearing.

Has someone replaced this, how difficult?
Do I also need to replace the gasket since I'll be removing the top auger?

Geek,

I haven't replaced the bearing, but it doesn't seem to be terribly difficult. The only thing I can't remember is how the bearing is mounted to the auger itself. As for the gasket, there is a rubber gasket between the auger plate and the stove. This gasket did have a small amount of black RTV on it, which I removed and replaced.

the bearing is quite simple to replace , remove the auger motor , then the auger assy. then take the motor mounting collar off the butt end of the auger assy , loosen the 2, 1/8inch allen setscrews, slide the bearing off. reassemble in the reverse order of removal.

note , the bearing is designed to wobble however it is a pillow block bearing. this allows the auger to "float" inside the tube which generally helps to prevent jams. the top auger which is shorter will generally have more play in it due to the shorter length but both should move freely in the tube.

thanks Rich and Mike.

The thing is when I tried to align this top auger I could NOT get it to reduce the noise, the wobble is NOT present on the bottom auger.

I say swap it out and hope for the best. These stoves are very easy to work on, and the help from this forum coupled with the support from Englander make it that much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.