How dirty is my liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newburner

Burning Hunk
Aug 26, 2014
Massachusetts
During some stove downtime today, I removed the baffles to get a peek up my liner. Here is the pic I took. Being a first year burner, I haven't a clue what the liner should look like after 3 months of burning.

The buildup is more than I expected but, it is only a thin layer of powdery material. It easily comes off on my finger when I touch it.

I plan on sweeping the liner this weekend but I wanted to get some thoughts about this amount of buildup after 3 months of burning. Normal or not?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420148238505.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420148238505.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 375
I have a hard time telling from pictures but you'll get a better idea once you sweep and take a look at the size/makeup of the pile.

Reactions: Fod01
Not horrible.

I am assuming first year burner with less than optimum fire wood?

Not bad. Continue on your plan, and check it & sweep as you can.

We're getting hit with a cold spell, good idea to sweep it this weekend.

What does it look like at the cap?

Yes, most of my wood is seasoned properly but I have noticed a few that go in start to sizzle. Probably 1 out of every 20 splits. I supplement "sizzle wood" with bio bricks.

The cap looks similar. Maybe a bit more flaking.

Bottom looks fine you can still see the ridges in the liner. The top will tell the story the bottom usually stays pretty clean with an EPA stove.

I haven't checked mine yet. How did you remove your baffles?

NJ, I don't know if there is an "official" way to do it but I just lifted them up then turned them so they would fit down through the tubes. Took me a minute to get them out the first time but after I did it once, its pretty easy.

If that is all you have after 3 months , then with a bit drier wood you should have no problem , this winter . Just check and sweep when necessary and your good .

doesnt look bad at all to me. I wouldnt even bother cleaning that little bit.

Check the top of the stack for the real picture.

Thanks guys. I'll post a pic of the top a bit later. I don't figure it'll hurt to go ahead and sweep. At the very least, I'll gain a little experience.

Looks fine on the bottom. Nothing alarming

NJ, I don't know if there is an "official" way to do it but I just lifted them up then turned them so they would fit down through the tubes. Took me a minute to get them out the first time but after I did it once, its pretty easy.

Thanks for the info. Since we have the same insert. You will be getting more questions from me. Lol

Well I'm no expert that's for sure. I'm learning as I go but I'll be happy to share notes with you whenever I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.