How Do Baby Bears Run?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BIGChrisNH

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2015
New Hampshire
My family’s place up on a lake in Southern Maine is being rebuilt. We will have about 1,200 square feet of living space to heat, and we are putting a stove in there. I am pushing for an Englander as I love mine, but it’s probably too much stove for that space, and I’ve always loved the old Fishers, I wanted one in my house, but my hearth wasn’t deep enough. I’m thinking a Baby Bear Fisher would be a great camp stove, but I’ve heard they can be tough to get cruising along and can be finicky. Coaly if you’re out there, what do you think of Baby Bears? I think a Mama would be too much stove for the modestly sized camp.

There are two near me for $150. I would jump on either one I think.

My family’s place up on a lake in Southern Maine is being rebuilt. We will have about 1,200 square feet of living space to heat, and we are putting a stove in there. I am pushing for an Englander as I love mine, but it’s probably too much stove for that space, and I’ve always loved the old Fishers, I wanted one in my house, but my hearth wasn’t deep enough. I’m thinking a Baby Bear Fisher would be a great camp stove, but I’ve heard they can be tough to get cruising along and can be finicky. Coaly if you’re out there, what do you think of Baby Bears? I think a Mama would be too much stove for the modestly sized camp.
Is the cabin going to be heated at all when no one is there? If not you cant underestimate the ammount of heat it will take to bring the place up to temp. I think it is a good place for an old innefficent tank like a fisher but i think a baby may struggle to bring the place up to temp in a reasonable ammount of time.

Maybe a little, but your point is taken. Maybe a Mama Bear wouldnt be too much in January when the place is freezing cold.

Maybe a little, but your point is taken. Maybe a Mama Bear wouldnt be too much in January when the place is freezing cold.
You can always have a smaller fire in a big stove

This is true. I’ll see if I can hunt down a Mama Bear

Depends on how well insulated your cabin is and other factors like vaulted or high ceilings.
There are other choices in Fisher stoves. I have a Honey Bear which is rated to heat 1,250 sq. ft.