How do i Check my Thermostat or Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tgang50

Dec 22, 2008
northwest, usa
i have an older lopi pellet stove. dont have the exact model number but its the old large style with the mirrors on each side that are at a 45 degree angle and then the stove in front. the stove worked great since i owned it and now yesterday the blower fan that blows the heat out of the stove was turning off and on and wasnt working right. now today the fan wont turn on at all. normally the stove warms up and it turns on. i am wondering if the fan or motor or whatever it is went bad or if it could just be the thermostat. i have electrical checker but not sure exactly how to use it. also not sure what i am looking for when looking for the thermostat. stove has 2 fans behind it i assume one is for the fan blowing heat inot the house and one is for ciruclating fresh air into the stove and out the chimney. any help would be appreciated. thx

Do you have a schematic for the unit?
If you do, check the wiring for the distribution blower (DB)...
Generally speaking, the DB is actuated by a snap (thermo) disk wired to the blower.
Even without the schematic, you should be able to ID the wires to it.
If you jump the DB directly to an outlet (i.e. hotwire it),
that'll tell you if the DB motor works...
If it doesn't, replace it.
If it does, find the snap disk & disconnect it from the system & jump the two wires
together...
If the DB motor works, replace the snap disk...
HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.