How Do I Connect a 3" Pellet Flue to An Existing 7" pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingman1

Dec 12, 2009
[email protected]
I have an existing stove pipe chimney that is 7".

I'm getting rid of the wood stove and getting a pellet stove and wondering how to marry the pellet stove to the existing pipe/chimney.

Presently, from stove height there is single walled stove pipe running up to a circular thing on the ceiling (guards ceiling from catching on fire).
From the roof up there is aluminum pipe that goes up about 5 feet above the roof with some kind of cap on it.

My question is what is the best way to marry these systems.
Specifically how to connect at the very top of the chimney and at the bottom stove end.
I'm hoping for something that isn't ugly on the stove end since it is in our family room.

Also, should I bring in a fresh air supply for greatest efficiency for a pellet stove?
Are there flexible pipe fresh air supply pipes/tubes or all they all rigid?

Thanks in advance for your help.
jeff

Not to say it can't be done, because it can, but i don't know if there is an adapter made to go to 7" pipe. There are adapters to go from 3" or 4" up to 6" and 8", but I never saw one for 7". But that is just Simpson pipe I'm referring to....maybe another brand has the adapters for 7".

I went from 4" to 8" on my old wood stove pipe, so it can be done:

Oh, and I just remembered....my stove pipe is double wall.

Attachments

• Astoria 1.jpg
    Astoria 1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 2,989
Are you talking about a thimble? Its a plug with a hole in the middle run the exhaust into an existing flue? If so, they are made. I got mine at Finest Hearth and Home in Maine.

jsph said:
Are you talking about a thimble? Its a plug with a hole in the middle run the exhaust into an existing flue? If so, they are made. I got mine at Finest Hearth and Home in Maine. If not call a stove shop and see what they can do.

for whats its worth I wrote an email to simpson because I was going from simpson 3" pellet vent to simpson 6" SS double wall wood stove pipe. They told me to insert th 3" pellet inside the existing 6" pipe and then just use rain shields on the top and bottom to cover the gaps. The reason they gave was that I may have draft issues going from 3 to 6, so they recommended staying with the 3". ??????

I will look for the email an post it.

use a single wall 6-7 adapt to change the wood stove pipe to 6"
then use the pellet vent 3-6 adapt

part # for adapter in simpson is 3pvp-x6 this goes from 3 inch pelet pro to 6" single wall female. we had to get a short double male single wall pipe to marry the simpson adapter to the female connection on the support box.

rickwa said:
part # for adapter in simpson is 3pvp-x6 this goes from 3 inch pelet pro to 6" single wall female. we had to get a short double male single wall pipe to marry the simpson adapter to the female connection on the support box.

you are incorrect on the Double mail.
ALL WOOD stove pipe mail ends must point down and go inside the lower sections so moister and creosoot drip inside the pipe.
at the support box all chimney manufactures make what is called a Flue extension or for duravant wood stove pipe it is called a close clearance adaptor.
this piece goes over the short collar on the bottom end of the wood stove pipe that is inside the support box and then sticks out of the support box to be able to connect single or double wall pipe.

Just run 3" flex up the larger pipe and terminate at the top with a new cap, rain guard and flat plate to seal the 6". You can get the termination kit that has it all. Don't screw with adapters that may mess up your draft. Just my 2 cents.

the support box i just hooked the pellet pro into i used a DOUBLE MALE 6 INCH SHORT to connect the adapter to the pipe inside the support box

Status
Not open for further replies.