How do I get my splitter in my trailer?! Winch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
OK, so I've got a Yard Machines 25-ton splitter that I towed home. I need to get it to my friend's to split a 30" maple and I have an 8 x 8 trailer, but how do I get it in? Even with ramps, it's a fairly steep incline. I've got a come-along, but that would take a while. Suggestions on an inexpensive option that I could use?

Thanks!

S

Got a jack? Get the splitter wheels on the ramp and then level the ramp with the Jack. Or offer your neighbor a beer.... Good running start has worked for me and my splitter is 900+ lbs.

Got a low spot you can back the trailer up in so that the tail end is just a few inches off the ground? How long is the trailer? Maybe you could pull the splitter on to the trailer with an ATV or lawn tractor and just leave them connected, taking the tractor along for the trip, then you'd have it to move around at the work site.

One friend + me + parking next to a hill to reduce the incline of the ramp = easy peasy loading.

Park the trailer, use your tow vehicle to back the trailer up the ramps.

Backpack09 said:
Park the trailer, use your tow vehicle to back the trailer up the ramps.

Nice work with this thought - or use your lawn tractor. Mine has a ball now to move my splitter around but before that i just rigged it quickly to move it around. I am sure you could push it up there with a lawn tractor.

thinkxingu said:
OK, so I've got a Yard Machines 25-ton splitter that I towed home. I need to get it to my friend's to split a 30" maple and I have an 8 x 8 trailer, but how do I get it in? Even with ramps, it's a fairly steep incline. I've got a come-along, but that would take a while. Suggestions on an inexpensive option that I could use?

Thanks!

S

Our splitter weighs close to 600 lbs so we hooked it up to the Rhino and backed it in, so like someone said a yard tractor should work.

zap

+ 1 on using the tractor.

I dealt with the same issue. I have used tie down strap the hold it after making small moves up the ramps. Now I have a cheep "Harbor Freight" boat type cable wench mounted in the front of the trailer. The cable is 25 ft. and the wintch is rated at 2500 LBS. I pull the splitter, tractors etc. up the ramps with no effort.

Tom

+1 on backing it in with the tow vehicle or anything else available.

Ask the wife to help load it....

Old or even new boat winch crank type... ;-) Mounted to the front of trailer.

The couple times I had to do this we were putting the splitter in the back of the pickup truck, not a trailer. Park downhill, use 10" planks for ramps and get a friend to help you out.

put tree on trailer, bring tree to splitter.

Danno77 said:

Still need a winch....lol :lol:

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

not if the tree is in little pieces because it met a BAC, I think a 361 might do the job.

edit: (BAC=Big ___ Chainsaw)

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

not if the tree is in little pieces because it met a BAC, I think a 361 might do the job.

edit: (BAC=Big ___ Chainsaw)

Yea I got a couple of those....Really is cool snatching a big trunk in under 10mins though. Thats how I grab my milling logs.

I forgot to check back in with this and I wasn't receivin' messages--thanks for all the replies (even the suggestion to have Dennis' wife help out!).

I like the idea of a 12V winch, but I don't/won't have a battery nearby. 1. Should I bother, or is one of the boat style cranks easy enough, and 2. Would one of those portable battery jumper thingies be powerful enough?

S

For rare use, go with the hand crank. You don't have to deal with a dead battery that way. Get the next size up from what you are thinking.

thinkxingu said:
I like the idea of a 12V winch, but I don't/won't have a battery nearby.

I've always assumed it just works off the vehicle's electrical system when you plug in the trailer plug. Thinking about it logically though, those little wires are made to channel a few amps for lights, not 10-15a for an electric motor. How does the battery rig on a trailer work then? I get that the battery would power the winch, but how does the battery get and stay charged?

mayhem said:
thinkxingu said:
I like the idea of a 12V winch, but I don't/won't have a battery nearby.

I've always assumed it just works off the vehicle's electrical system when you plug in the trailer plug. Thinking about it logically though, those little wires are made to channel a few amps for lights, not 10-15a for an electric motor. How does the battery rig on a trailer work then? I get that the battery would power the winch, but how does the battery get and stay charged?

Pick up a battery box at the local parts store, strap in your favorite battery. Wire up the winch. Then wire the battery to the trailer plug's RV ACC (+12V) terminal (Got's to be a 6/7-Way plug) to charge the battery when the tow vehicle is running. Takes some elec. engineering to get the charging circuit right/safe but it's not impossible to setup. Could just do the battery/box/winch and charge it as needed.

Jags said:
For rare use, go with the hand crank. You don't have to deal with a dead battery that way. Get the next size up from what you are thinking.

Its really not hard....Think mine would be rated at about 6K+ with the moster boat it came off of!

Status
Not open for further replies.