How do I get my splitter in my trailer?! Winch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mayhem said:
thinkxingu said:
I like the idea of a 12V winch, but I don't/won't have a battery nearby.

I've always assumed it just works off the vehicle's electrical system when you plug in the trailer plug. Thinking about it logically though, those little wires are made to channel a few amps for lights, not 10-15a for an electric motor. How does the battery rig on a trailer work then? I get that the battery would power the winch, but how does the battery get and stay charged?

buy a heavy duty extension cord (the winch motor doesn't draw that hard it works on a major gear reduction) from the hardware store if you need to, splice a regular female house type plug in near your battery, make an adapter for the winch with a male plug, heavy guage like 12 will fine for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.