how do i keep the stove clean??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
is there a way to keep it clean on the outside wifey just wiped it with a damp cloth
now it has a black grayish look is there a polish to bring back the black...oh it had ash on it thats why she wiped it

Sounds like a new stove so you will get some residue the first couple of cleanings.

Vacuum it before you wipe it with a damp clean rag and wipe it a few more times after rinsing the rag out in clean water. What is basically happening is you are just pushing the ash around on the stove so that is why you get that grayish color coming back.

Looks like wifey will be passing the project along to you!

I also believe that you just smeared the ash paste all over the stove turning black paint to grey. I use an old tile sponge to clean up the stove. Just as with tiling, the more frequently you rinse the sponge of mud, the less residue will be left on the surface. Clean water is all that's needed.

When the stove is cool or only warm. I use a Swiffer on it, sucks the dust and most ash spillage remnants right off.

I think you only need to wipe it some more when cool. If that doesn't work get some stove black.

And all this time i thought the summit was self cleaning. :lol:

budman said:
And all this time i thought the summit was self cleaning. :lol:

You have to have the stove washer up to 1,450 Degrees for that option. I kept telling Kathy to turn up the boiler before she put the stove in the stove washer... she just doesn't believe me! :coolmad:

iceman said:
is there a way to keep it clean on the outside wifey just wiped it with a damp cloth
now it has a black grayish look is there a polish to bring back the black...oh it had ash on it thats why she wiped it
That black grayish look is the shadows being cast from the war-page across the top of the stove. Don't worry though, the
motley crew has all agreed they are supposed to do that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.