How do I remove a stainless liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angryhippie

Nov 5, 2014
Dayton, OH
I have 24' of 8" stainless steel pipe dropped down a masonry chimney. the top of the chimney is probably 6' over the roof line so I have to work on it on a ladder. It needs to come out because it's been improperly installed by the previous owners. The problem is it is far far too heavy to lift out so that I can take apart the sections. Does anyone have any tips on how to pull it out of the chimney?

We use a hoist to lift any we pull. You could make one it is just a metal frame with a cheap boat winch on it. What is wrong with it though you are going with 6" now arent you? If so you could just drop the 6" inside the 8" in most cases

Well, the whole thing is installed upside down and the cap leaks terribly when it rains, so I was going to remove everything and just install new, correctly.

Well, the whole thing is installed upside down and the cap leaks terribly when it rains, so I was going to remove everything and just install new, correctly.
Nothing wrong with removing it at all but you probably don't have to. So they have the joints upside down so the lower piece slides into the upper?

Is it a double wall liner?

Sorry. I missed the part about "sections". I thought it was flex liner not solid pipe. I need to read slower or quit getting older.

Carry on.

Reactions: bholler
Is it just in there loose or did they pour insulation around it?

Lower a rope all the way to the bottom brick chimney with a hook on the end, hook to the bottom of the pipe. Bring the rope to the ground, have a second person hold the rope with a place to tie it off. Climb the ladder and put the rope over your shoulder, lift the liner with your legs. Once a section is exposed tie the rope off, remove the section. Do it again. Install it in reverse.

Reactions: Jo191145
You don't happen to have a picture of this do you? This seems like a workable solution, but I can't picture it in my head.
Search for liner hoist on chimney supply places there are several out there

Just a quick update: I purchased an inexpensive ratcheting strap winch from harbor freight and securely bolting it to a 4x4 with a pair of 2x4 support legs sticking out lengthwise. This worked like a champ. I was able to heave the whole thing up and remove each 3' section. They used the wrong fasteners to secure each section of pipe, so each and every screw was either rusted or had completely deteriorated so the only thing holding the sections together was the creosote that had fused together in the seam. I ended up having to cut up most of the pipe to get it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.