How do I remove rust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdege

Nov 15, 2011
Dover, NH
This will be my second year and as I get ready I am noticing rust in the stove (Harman Insert), any thoughts on how to address?

It's most likely only surface rust and will burn off after a few fires this season....happened to me last year too. This year I blocked off the exhaust and OAK from outside humid air and no rust problems this year.

That is what I hoped and it only looks like surface. So yours burned off? If that is the case I will see how things go after a good ling burn. Thank you.

Next year, try getting some "damp rid" or boxes of dessicant to put in the firebox after final cleaning. Some people give the interior panels a light spray of Pam to keep it from rusting.

Reactions: gbreda
Thank you both for your replies, I have seen alot out here about what people do to prevent rust but not much on treatment. I should followed the warnings but learned the hard lesson of a year 1 owner.

Glad to hear that surface rust will burn off and I can do the right thing next year to avoid this issue.

I'm an idiot too. I opened mine up yesterday and saw the same thing. I live in the south and it never occured to me that the humid air could do some damage.

I find that if I disconnerct my outside air from my stove during the summer, do not have rust.
We have high humidity during the summer. If you go to Home Depot & ask for a rust remover,
that turns the rust to a primer. It is Naval Jelly, a pink paste & it works.

I find that if I disconnerct my outside air from my stove during the summer, do not have rust.
We have high humidity during the summer. If you go to Home Depot & ask for a rust remover,
that turns the rust to a primer. It is Naval Jelly, a pink paste & it works.

Thank you.

surface rust inside of a pellet stove is an expected thing, remember when you run the stove you are literally cooking any oils out of the metal which makes this metal succeptible to surface rust. generally its not somthing that will "snowball" into an issue but i usually give the parts i can reach a quick buff with a scotch pad and drop a dessicant into the firebox to absorb moisture

Reactions: PJPellet
Status
Not open for further replies.