how do i replace the blower motor on a harman pp38 pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tabitha

Jan 7, 2011
western MA
The motor is failing. My dealer has them in stock but can't get to me for 2 weeks. the blower shuts off whenever it decides it is too hot. Then I shut it down to let itcool and turn it back on and itworks fine. this has been happening almost daily. It's annoying when i am homebut i do not know if it does this when I am at work. Any suggestions? Thanks from tabitha

tabitha,

first off, if your stove is under warrantee, dont touch it...let the service guy do it. you dont want to void your warrantee. if its no longer under warrantee, and you are handy at this stuff, then go for it. i just did a feed assembly repair on mine.

first make sure your stove is unplugged from the electrical outlet.
underneath your hopper, there are bent tins, one on the left, and one on the right. once you remove those tins, everthing is pretty much out in the open for you. once you determine which one is the combustion blower, follow the wire back to the connection point and disconnect. now you can remove your blower, and clean or vaccum in preparation for the new blower. once you have the new blower in place, just do the remaining in reverse order.

remember, dont do anything that will void the warrantee on your stove. let the service guys do it. it sux , i know, but no point in voiding. if anyone can help more or has corrections in my post, please step in.

mike

Tabitha:

you WILL NOT void your warrantee by working it it yourself......posts above are simply not correct.....

Is it the combustion or distribution blower? The combustion blower sucks air through the stove for, well, combustion. The distribution blower pushes the air from under the lid edge away from the stove. Removal and installation are very different for each unit. the distribution blower is held in place by two bolts, where the combustion blower is held in place with 3 smaller bolts, and you'd need to remove the blower impeller prior to removing the motor portion of the blower.

"you WILL NOT void your warrantee by working it it yourself…...posts above are simply not correct….."

better listen to the "MASTER". sorry for trying to be of some help. if it were MY stove, and under warrantee, i wouldnt touch it but do as you will.

mjbrown65 said:
"you WILL NOT void your warrantee by working it it yourself…...posts above are simply not correct….."

better listen to the "MASTER". sorry for trying to be of some help. if it were MY stove, and under warrantee, i wouldnt touch it but do as you will.

I agree . Whether or not it voids the warranty is going to hinge entirely on the place you bought it from since Harman doesn`t communicate with it`s customers and leaves all service in the hands of it`s dealers. From reading the many horror stories about service after sales it tells me it`s not a good bet .

thank you gio...the only reason i did my own work on my stove is because it IS 3 yrs past the warrantee no. 1. 2) i am mechanically inclined,so i knew what i was getting into. 3)i am a welder by trade, so repairing my feed assembly was no chore for me. i had the burn pot with the x-tra 5 holes at the bottom, just in front of the auger...when i started seeing the posts about the holes, i checked mine, and sure enough, the auger tube was worn thru as the pellets were burning inside the tube,causing the tube to heat and thin out. the tube separated from the feed assembly but not enough that it couldnt be repaired without spending almost $300 for a new assembly.

whether or not the work voids the warrantee is beside the point. if it's under warrantee, there is no point in taking the chance. not every dealer or service tech is the same. some might say "sure, do the work yourself" ..others will say" ahhhh, you did it yourself, and it still doesnt workk? so sorry, but you voided your warrantee"...seen it too many times.

after reading my previos post, i saw the typo...what i meant to say was the CORRECT blower...not COMBUSTION blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.