How do I use the cat? Earth stove BV400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fireman9302

Nov 12, 2017
Kentucky
I really hate to bother yall, but Im going to anyway...
I bought a house and it has (as far as I know ) an Earth Stove fireplace insert installed.
I know it has a catalytic converter in it and Ive downloaded the manual to it.
I cannont for the life of me figure out how to read the temp probe by the bypass damper handle.
Its between to pieces of metal and To be honest i thought it was a guide for the bypass handle...lol
I cannont even find any pictures of it on Google
Fires light well and burns good, but I have no idea when to shut the bypass for sure.
Any help?
This is a picture from the manual that talks about the temp probe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-11-12-18-46-23.png
    Screenshot_2017-11-12-18-46-23.png
    88.9 KB · Views: 265
Did i say something wrong?

I don’t think so.

I changed the thread title so that it might attract help from anyone using a cat unit and not just those familiar with this particular one.

Good luck.

It looks to me like that probe is optional, and you've posted instructions on how to install it. If you don't have the probe, I would get a healthy fire going and wait until your fuel is nicely engulfed in flames (5-15 minutes with the wide open air), then engage the cat and (leave it engaged unless you open the door) until you've burned all the fuel.

My stove has a similar probe that goes thru an external casting/air gap/into the firebox behind the cat. The dial sits ontop and the tip of the probe protrudes into the cat chamber right behind the cat but not touching it.

You could probably get one from Condar, you would need to figure out the right diameter and length since they probably don't make one specifically for your insert.
http://www.condar.com/Catalytic_Thermometers.html

Last edited:
Reactions: pen