How do you clean a chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FPX Dude

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Well, while I'm laughing to myself...uh, how do you clean a chimney? I have 1 1/2 seasons of burning and I haven't even looked in it. I have a 16' chimney of 8" double wall. So, I'm thinking to get a 9" poly brush with some connecting poles then stuff it down, do some "back-n-forth" kinda action then scoop it out. Is there anything else ? Any tips, concerns ?

Might wanna hire a certified sweep and see how it's done correctly one time. Then consider the stuff and back-n-forth thingy on your own.

Just a thought ........

Soon !

FPX, you need help! Nobody should burn that long without at least looking in the chimney. And if you've not even looked at it, how do you know it needs cleaning now? Something doesn't make sense. But I'll only advise two things.

1. You should get someone who knows; like a chimney sweep.

2. You get the right size brush for the job if you insist on doing it yourself.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.