How do you connect the stove pipe to the stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sscomo

Nov 15, 2010
central mo
Whats the best way to attach the pellet stove pipe to the stove itself? Doesnt it need to come apart easily to clean each year? Seems like rtv sealant would make it difficult to remove the pipe. Any experienced info would be appreciated...Thanks.

use the RTV, when you want to disconnect the stove from pipe for cleaning most stoves have a "quick disconnect" flange, so you just unbolt that from the stove itself, leave it attached to the pipe, do your cleaning and screw it back in.

Thanks, I'll have to see if theres a quick disconnect flange on my stove...didnt see one and it wasnt mentioned in manual. Is that something that comes with the stove? Or would I buy that with the stove pipe?

its on there already (most likely). what stove is this? (you may want to put it in your signature for future reference, and for bragging rights)

Read your Owner's Manual and it will tell you what you need to do. There is no secret way to attach it. Silicone and screws should do it and keep it from leaking. Yes you will have a hard time removing it to clean but that is better than a leaky pipe.

Eric

its a bosca spirit....no bragging rights came along with this stove.......i've seen the harmans..much better than mine.......

I think stoves from Chile come with bragging rights....heck, they're from Chile and thats just fun to say.

You get the Bosca Spirit ? If so how is it?? Just wondering......

I havent hooked it up yet, but will post on the performance soon.

Delta T, does that "quick disconnect flange" have a gasket on it?

sscomo said:
Whats the best way to attach the pellet stove pipe to the stove itself? Doesnt it need to come apart easily to clean each year? Seems like rtv sealant would make it difficult to remove the pipe. Any experienced info would be appreciated...Thanks.

The pipe just off the back of the stove should have this (3" shown, 4" available too, plus increasers too):

www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=5942

All joints could be wrapped with furnace tape which can be sliced easily with utility knife for removal.

I have always purchased a little quick disconnect unit.
You silicone and screw it to the stove outlet and then silicone the other end to the pipe.

Once you get things ready to go, align the flanges and install the 4 bolts that hold the unit halves together.

I( have these on two of my stoves. Great way to go.

Snowy

My Selkirk pipe has a pellet adaptor that allows the 3" pipe on the stove to connect to the vent pipe. It stays on the stove and is screwed and siliconed on... the vent pipe attaches with the stock Selkirk twist-on vent pipe.

installed the bosca spirit 500 ,replacing a delapidated brick fireplace. Recessed back 6" into the firebox.
I used selkirk vp pipe 3". it runs to tee then up the entire length of chimney. used 2" muffler pipe and preheater hose for the outside air intake.

Used a selkirk adjustable connector on the stove....works great...tightened down on the stove outlet very well with the attached clamp.

Finished it off with durock and slate tile.

The stove fired right up. I've been burning on the #2 setting with Somerset Pellets. It puts out ok heat on 2.... .....3 is really what i need to run it on but i dont want to burn too many pellets. On 2 its staying about 65degrees inside with an outside temp between 10-29. A bit colder in the back rooms of course.

Did notice some glowing red around the heat exchanger tubes, indicating that they are not completely sealed from the firebox, also noticed some cooler air blowing through the heat tube cleaner rod......
havent noticed any smoke or ash gettting through though.

Attachments

• IMGP3568.jpg
    IMGP3568.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 389
  • IMGP3582.jpg
    IMGP3582.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 361
  • IMGP3594.jpg
    IMGP3594.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 362
  • IMGP3593.jpg
    IMGP3593.jpg