How Do You Heat on Mild Days?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cptoneleg said:
Brian VT said:
splitnstack said:
...if I can't burn my stove the way it needs to be burned correctly...
Yup. I hate starting fires. If I can't run it 24/7, as normal, I burn oil.

Yep I used to hate rubbing those sticks together, then I went down south, and found out the match had been invented'
LOL. I guess what I meant to write was that I hate starting a cold stove. I feel like I need to babysit it until it settles into cruising mode.
Oh, btw, I use a trigger-start mapp gas torch. No matches or rubbing sticks together. LOL

I have been burning like shoulder season, fire at night, maybe one in the morn. If it goes out over the day so be it, rebuild, relight, rewarm.

Mild weather here means my oak and hawthorn gets put back into store and out comes the cooler burning wood.

I lit up at 2pm on New Years Day, and was happily burning an old pallet.........

until Mrs woodchip suggested that a romantic evening meal didn't have the same appeal with a bits of old pallet in the room :)

Warm days are maintenance days.

I let the stove run out and use them similar to many- clean out the stove, inspect and clean the chimney- whatever needs to be done. It is also a good time to let water circulate through the baseboard heating and to ensure that system is working properly as it rarely kicks on in two zones of my house when the stove is burning.

A little amusing to have a post on Jan 1 wondering how to handle mild days. This morning it's -24F, not unusual for this time of the year. Maybe this year the thought of mild weather will come to mind in July :) .

I was thinking the same thing..... -18 f here today and no relief in sight in the 7 day forecast. The only saving grace is that it could easily be -40 in our region at this time of year.

Dreaming of shoulder season and having enough wood to get there will be a bonus.

Brian VT said:
cptoneleg said:
Brian VT said:
splitnstack said:
...if I can't burn my stove the way it needs to be burned correctly...
Yup. I hate starting fires. If I can't run it 24/7, as normal, I burn oil.

Yep I used to hate rubbing those sticks together, then I went down south, and found out the match had been invented'
LOL. I guess what I meant to write was that I hate starting a cold stove. I feel like I need to babysit it until it settles into cruising mode.
Oh, btw, I use a trigger-start mapp gas torch. No matches or rubbing sticks together. LOL

I hear you it is a pain, hate the furnace kicking on, By next sat warm will be in the 20s LOL

I used to just open a window or the door to regulate the temperature.
That seems like a waste to me now, so I let the furnace run. It's probably a lot more efficient at the small burns necessary to warm the place up.
The right tool for the job so to speak.
Course, it's nice to have both, too.
Especially those years when I can afford to take off for a couple weeks in February to warmer climes.

I burn like I do during the shoulder season . . . quick, hot fires, half loads, lower BTU wood, dig out my punks, chunks and uglies, etc . . . and really extend the time before I reload.

We have 52 f forecast for next Saturday, so I'll see what happens if I light up about 2pm and let it die down after about 8pm.
I'll be following the good ideas here and use it to check the flue, possibly sweep it, and thoroughly clean out the stove.

If I add some foraging in too, I'll probably actually increase the size of my woodpile, not bad for Midwinter :)

We handle it by letting the heat pump run. It does give us a chance to look up the flue, wipe down the stove and glass. If it's 40-45 and sunny, even the heat pump won't cycle during the day, the thermal gain with all the leaves off the trees and sun low enough to come in the windows means the house will stay were we want it temperature wise.

woodchip said:
Mild weather here means my oak and hawthorn gets put back into store and out comes the cooler burning wood.

I lit up at 2pm on New Years Day, and was happily burning an old pallet.........

until Mrs woodchip suggested that a romantic evening meal didn't have the same appeal with a bits of old pallet in the room :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Danged women and their ideas....

Status
Not open for further replies.