How do you keep your fire going during the day/night?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
How do you keep your fire going overnight when sleeping and when you are at work during the day? I close all drafts and it seems to work very well for 8-10 hours.

I don't think there's any easy way to do that without making creosote if you don't have storage.

What I do is try to get as much heat into the house as I can in the evening (& afternoon if home), and try to time & balance things so that my furnace temp is down to around 160 or so and the fire is pretty well down by the time I go to bed. I then fill it as full as I can get it and the thermostats set back a bit. That hopefully limits the amount of idling time overnight (but there will still be some), and usually leaves a bed of coals by the time I get up. Time between fill ups doing that is usually around 8 hours.

I have a dirty boiler and no storage - it would be a LOT easier with a gassifier and some storage.

What do you have for a furnace - and what drafts do you close? The damper door/combustion air control should operate itself, and chimney draft controls should likely remain constant.

I have an add-on burner. HotBlast 1557M. Manual drafts on ash pan and door. I close both and it seems to burn for long period of time and leave a nice bed of hot coals.

is it rated for coal?? Coal can make for a warm morning. I load mine with wood every eight hours in this weather.

from what i have been told you can get coal in coleman, mi. I too can burn coal in my boiler but i have not yet. I heat up the house when i am home and turn off or down the heat when i go to work and then build a fire when i get home and bring the heat back up.

It works for me but it is not ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.