HOW DO YOU LIGHT YOUR FIRE ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags said:
kenny chaos said:
Hello- My name is Peggy. How may I help you?

Points please...?

Just a moment please.....................................................................................................................................................................................

Backwoods Savage said:
In all my years of wood burning I've never had a problem where I had to heat the flue before lighting a fire.

Starting this year, we use 1/4 of a Super Cedar to light the fires. It works like a charm.

My problem is that if i dont first heat up the flue pipe, I get a room full of smoke. I get rolled up newspapers and hold them to the top of the stove but even that sometimes creates smoke depending on how cold it is. Sometimes i get really pissed with the smoke and makes me want to stick my wife's blow dryer up the flue pipe just to not get smoke. I am now burning 24x7 so that has helped alot.

kenny chaos said:
Jags said:
kenny chaos said:

Points please...?

Just a moment please.....................................................................................................................................................................................

.............................................................................................CLICK.

It depends which stove I'm lighting. The monty I can use the top down method and it roars to life. The 602, if it hasn't been used in a while I sometimes have to warm up the pipe a little with a hair dryer. Only have to do this when the pipe is cold to the touch. When I open the door and can feel cold air come out I know it needs to be warmed up.That chimney is straight up from the stove. Usually the top down works in the 602 also.

I make a log cabin with ten peaces of kindling then to splits on top n/s then one e/w.

Plug of air? Huh? Never heard of this.

On cold days, my stove starts faster and runs harder because of the relative buoyancy of hot air relative to cold.

I load up the stove to the top, throw some birch bark in front, or newspaper and bits that I rip off the splits I bring in if I don't have any birch, and away we go.

Top down with criss-crossed kindling every time.

Newspaper, kindling loaded criss-cross, a couple of small splits, and then touch off the newspaper with a stick lighter. I have a wonderful source for kindling. My buddy has a small saw mill and I can help myself to an endless supply of lumber edges which he rips off boards when he trues up his 2x4s and 2x6s. Most of this scrap is 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 8 feet. I just cut it to 14" lenghts on my chop saw and box it up. I've got an excellent draft with my chimney and have never needed to pre-heat it.
ChipTam

My buddy gave me a super cedar round a couple of weeks ago and I didn't really think it would work all that well...I've used it for my last four fires and it's awesome! No more paper!

Jags said:
ControlFreak said:
I put about 1/4 cup of Coleman camping fuel in a ziplock baggy.

Now there's one I never thought I would hear. :lol:

CAUTION: this is being performed by a trained professional. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

Jags --- You calling me a trained professional? Sure... trained by many years of wood heat. If I don't get flamed by at least one person, then I wonder it my post made it there.

Hey, if you can buy a goldfish in a ziplock baggy, and if they sell milk in a plastic bag in Wisconsin, why not use one to start your fire? Plastic bags are not dangerous!!! :O

kenny chaos said:
kenny chaos said:
Jags said:
kenny chaos said:

Points please...?

.............................................................................................CLICK.

Tenacious like bull!

ControlFreak said:
Jags --- You calling me a trained professional? Sure... trained by many years of wood heat. If I don't get flamed by at least one person, then I wonder it my post made it there.

Hey, if you can buy a goldfish in a ziplock baggy, and if they sell milk in a plastic bag in Wisconsin, why not use one to start your fire? Plastic bags are not dangerous!!! :O

CF - I hope you don't take my post as a flame on you. It was not meant to be, but I also hope you realize that your method is FAR from a recommended method. And that is what my post was meant to point out, professional stunt double or not.

Flammable fuel in plastic baggies don't kill people, baggies do. ;)

Not giving you a hard time Control Freak . . . but generally I don't advocate the use of flammable fuels in a woodstove . . . then again I'm a bit of a Neanderthal . . . I still use matches, newspaper and kindling to light my fires . . . although once in a while I go hog wild crazy and use these new contraptions they're selling around here where you click this metal piece and the flammable fuel in the plastic container produces a flame which I use to ignite my newspaper. ;) :)

3 firelighting squares in the ash bed, three splits on top, light, open the air, close the door. Come back in 20 minutes, load the firebox full, close the air.

3 good size splits N/S on bottom, 2 or 3 smaller splits E/W, super cedar resting on the bottom splits (replacing newspaper), some smaller kindling, leave the air open and the door slightly cracked. Start with a match and away she goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.