How do you remove smoke stains from stone hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
I want to install a insert into my fireplace but I would like to clean the stone hearth of smoke stains. I have tried oven cleaner, stove window cleaner and muric acid and nothing has worked.
I would hate to remove all the stone and redo it as the cost would probably exceed my budget for the project.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• work pictures 001.jpg
    work pictures 001.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 638
  • work pictures 002.jpg
    work pictures 002.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 638
bsa0021,

Try "goop" hand cleaner & a nylon brush or cloth rags from Dollar Tree.

Understand that the cleaner may clean up the smoke stain so well that it makes the rest of the stone look dirty.

So apply the "Goop" in a small 2" area & let it set up for 24 hours.

Then using an old toothbrush / rag clean off the 2" spot, be sure to put newspaper down around the general area first.

Good luck with it.

If all else fails try some fine steel wool; maybe 00 or 000. Just try a small area first on anything you try. Good luck.

I don't think it looks that bad the way it is. It's a fireplace, that's all it's ever been, and all it ever will be. Some legacy evidence of its previous life just isn't something I'd get all wrapped around about, personally. I'd call it "character". Rick

ETA: That's some very attractive stonework, I wouldn't even think about tearing it out.

Thanks! I forgot about goop. I'll try a couple of the other suggestions as well although, I didn't have any success w/oven cleaner.
If all else fails I may have to take Fossil's look at it. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I should. I know the surround will cover a good part of it. The portion of the hearth that extends onto the floor was my biggest concern because the stone is spotted as though sap was splattered.

Vinegar and water or hearth creosote cleaner. Like others have said sometimes you end up scrubbing inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by by inch by inch by inch inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch by inch...get the idea? Be carefull, its a sickness man!!! :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.