How do your store your 'chunk' wood (and share pics if you have them)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chutter,

Picture the long sides of the pallet. On each side is a 2'x2' opening built from 2 vertical posts and 1 horizontal crossbar. I built that before adding the fence, and just snipped away the fence to create the opening, on both sides. I really need to post images....

So, I went the trash can route. Bought black plastic cans, filled 3 with chunks/scraps, left the lids off and covered them last Friday (right before we got our first rain in 215 days). I bought 3 cans thinking I would have an extra for the future. I guess the future was now. LOL!

Might I suggest using a pallet or more than one and surrounding it with poultry wire? Before I figured out how to stack I used this method to hold up my cord wood. It provides plenty of ventilation and is strong if you fasten it well.

Adios Pantalones said:
Truth be told- I don't end up with THAT many weird ends- partly because I am lucky to have big red oaks at my disposal on-site, and partly because I just plain rock your mom.

dude what the hell? thats flipping hysterical.
you know i saw your comment the other day, guess i didnt read that last line first time around.
only clicked today to see what 'new' stuff was written.
thats too much. i'm still laughing.

my chunks get tossed on what i call the 'assey pile'

JotulOwner said:
Might I suggest using a pallet or more than one and surrounding it with poultry wire? Before I figured out how to stack I used this method to hold up my cord wood. It provides plenty of ventilation and is strong if you fasten it well.

The big plus with the trash cans is they are easier to move than a pallet (and with my limited space that is a big plus)

Catskill I like the Fence post for ends "nice"

Wow! I just don't put quite that much effort into making my stacks look so neat. Chunks get thrown on top of stacks. I'll burn them when its convenient to toss one in a fire that's half-way thru. Sometimes I use them as weights to keep the tarps down.

I just pile up the odds along with the 12" thick cookies that I cut up into blocks when they are to big to wrestle into the splitter, and into the boiler they go head first.

fossil said:
EDIT: Of course I mean the stuff in the cheapo blue tubs, not the stacked (gulp!) pine.

I have 3 standing dead pines in my yard that have been choked out by vines. I think I will take them down soon and cut them up for fire wood. I keep cringing at the thought but ya'll burn lotsa pine and hey, it's free!!

Cluttermagnet said:
I got some amazingly gnarly pieces off of that big old Red Oak I started with. You can actually see lots of serpentine grain in places. I ought to take a couple of photos of this stuff over the winter as I come across it in that pile. I'll post some here. It's downright artistic, what nature did with it. Looks like a curved maze in spots, the grain. Fortunately, most of that tree was pretty straight- grained. And it split pretty good considering the tree was 2 years on the ground when I started splitting. Great stuff, Oak. I have managed to get some of it well seasoned, and am getting good, hot fires with it.

find someone who plays with a wood lathe for fun and give them some of this sort of stuff.

they'll be agog with what they can do with it to turn bowls, pens, and whatever, and might pay you or give you back some fun samples in finished product

I have a cherry tree with a huge burl that is destined for firewood because it is sickly, and I accidentally started a bidding war between two different woodworker friends who are each dying to have me give them the burl.

Cluttermagnet said:
I got some amazingly gnarly pieces off of that big old Red Oak I started with. You can actually see lots of serpentine grain in places. I ought to take a couple of photos of this stuff over the winter as I come across it in that pile. I'll post some here. It's downright artistic, what nature did with it. Looks like a curved maze in spots, the grain. Fortunately, most of that tree was pretty straight- grained. And it split pretty good considering the tree was 2 years on the ground when I started splitting. Great stuff, Oak. I have managed to get some of it well seasoned, and am getting good, hot fires with it.

find someone who plays with a wood lathe for fun and give them some of this sort of stuff.

they’ll be agog with what they can do with it to turn bowls, pens, and whatever, and might pay you or give you back some fun samples in finished product

I have a cherry tree with a huge burl that is destined for firewood because it is sickly, and I accidentally started a bidding war between two different woodworker friends who are each dying to have me give them the burl.

google "gabion baskets" ( the things they use to pile big stones in for those big embankments you see along highways ) and you'll see some interesting options for housing mis-shapen wood

skinnykid said:
fossil said:
EDIT: Of course I mean the stuff in the cheapo blue tubs, not the stacked (gulp!) pine.

I have 3 standing dead pines in my yard that have been choked out by vines. I think I will take them down soon and cut them up for fire wood. I keep cringing at the thought but ya'll burn lotsa pine and hey, it's free!!

Also there is a HUGE pine that the town took down near my house. It has been there since I lived here (since March) I was thinking of snagging it for myself.

I wonder what the deal is with taking trees that are just laying around. I mean I know the town cut it or had it cut because it still has the orange tape around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.