How does humidity effect seasoning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JimboM said:
But, all soil is local as is all soil moisture

I have a lot of clay around here, but my wood is stacked on clean sandy fill we had brought in twenty years ago to increase the parking area and to slope a steep bank to stop it from eroding. Where there is no grass, the water basically falls right through when it rains. If I stacked it directly on the heavy clay soil down the bottom of the slope, it would probably punk out on me after a year or so. I either location, I feel all I need is pallets to keep it from direct contact. I can't see why a few more points of RH at the base of the stack would slow anything down, at least in a way that was noticeable inside a stove.

I'll try to get out there today and take very accurate reading of both temperature and RH with my sling psychrometer, both at ground level and at 4' above. It rained a bit last night, so this might be a good time to measure them. I'm betting there won't be a difference worth worrying about.

Status
Not open for further replies.