How Does My Stove Work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Typ0

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2014
Central New York
If you have been following my threads I have encountered a draft problem and smoke coming back into my home.

I just pulled it all apart and swept it up to the cap. Some stuff came out but nothing I would say is a fire hazzard.

The cap is clear I can see all the daylight nothing stopped up there.

Attached is a picture of the inside of my stove. I guess I don't understand how this thing works. I gather my problem is in the stove itself. Let me know what shape you think it's in and what I can do to improve it. I did notice there is one broken firebrick on the top that wasn't there before I started burning.

Where/how does the smoke exit???

Attachments

• 20150117_133038[1].jpg
    20150117_133038[1].jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 227
Is it a good idea to go through and poke all the holes with a nail? I know they are for gasses returning to the stove. Whatever that part is called it doesn't look to be in the best shape...but it's solid.

The smoke exits up the chimney.

What stove make and model is this?
napoleon secondary.JPG

Last edited:
How long is your chimney? Typically chimney length, cold starts, etc.. play a big part in draft. I started my stove the other day for the first time after it was installed and got some smoke until the chimney heated up a little. Make sure the damper is fully open when lighting a fire and keep the door slightly cracked to allow significant air flow through the firebox and up the chimney.

I do think the chimney effects the draft. However, it was working fine and then started having trouble with some weather changes. When it's windy outside it's great but when there is no wind it seems to struggle.

Previous owner did not have the bricks in per the manufacturers instructions....and it makes total sense it was destroying the natural airflow of the stove as there is about an inch of space supposed to be left between the front row of top bricks and the stove. I must admit to being excited to be on this track. I have the bricks in correctly and am going to put everything back together and give it a go. Thanks everyone!

Reactions: CenterTree
Some of these bricks have to be cut the long way...that's going to suck if/when the time comes!
Why would you need to cut any? If the previous owner just had them in wrong shouldn't they be OK when installed properly?

Are they the original bricks?

Why would you need to cut any? If the previous owner just had them in wrong shouldn't they be OK when installed properly?

Are they the original bricks?

I don't know if they are originals. Two were broken but they were the full sized ones. In the top span of bricks there is two on each side that have a width smaller than the standard size. I don't have to cut any as those bricks aren't broken....but some day they may need to be replaced.

I ran that same stove for years. Bought it in 1995. Wish I had back sometimes.

Reactions: Typ0
I put the user manual in my sig the bricks for this stove are on page 12.

Thanks for adding it to your signature. That's saves guesswork. The secondary looks similar to Napoleons.

Thanks for adding it to your signature. That's saves guesswork. The secondary looks similar to Napoleons.
Yes, they are similar. Don't know if Napoleon has the tube on the back.

WOW that's cool LOL. I don't know what I am doing...no experience. I suspected something was wrong but learning. I think this is quite a bit of difference. Sounds like you liked the stove....feel free to tell me the plusses and minuses!
Mine was slow on start up so the door needed to be slightly open for a while. The stove was very large and as with any needs good dry wood for best results. The sides on mine started to warp after many years of use. Both sides had an inward belly to them. They quit making them years ago. It'll pump out the heat.

I put the only load of properly dried wood in this morning just to see how it would run. It seemed very similar but it's burning much more consistent from front to back right down to ash so that's good. I look forward to next year when I have better wood. The stove is hard to get to temp and seems to drop down quite a bit on reloads....that's probably another function of the wood. Having gotten what I think was a problem fixed I'm excited about the future with my stove again!

If you can store the wood indoors for even a week it will help. Big plastic tubs can be used to contain the splits.

Reactions: Swedishchef
I bring in 1 week's worth of wood at a time. A few pieces (weird..I know which ones) are not as drya s I'd like (25% or so). My humidity level in the basement (where the stove is located) is about 14%. I put a small fan point towards the stack and it does make a difference after a week.

Andrew

Thanks guys. I do have about a weeks worth in the house. Things arent going so bad just getting the process and systems down and figuring out my stove. It doesnt seem to burn well when it gets to the back now that i fixed the bricks. Another thing to look into!

Status
Not open for further replies.