How drop the clinker on a St Croix corn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rickwai

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
ohio
I took a video on my Iphone. Just trying to figure out how to get it on here

Last edited:
Reactions: Ssyko
What is the trick to posting a Iphone video?
I downloaded a Video Compress app on my phone and compress down to 15mb and it worked. I cheated and looked at the video on the XXV noise thread that was posted to come up with the 15mb size :)

Last edited:

Let the clinker block cool for about a hour in ash pan and reach in and pull it out. I can go 2 weeks without shutting down. Just use a natural bristle paint brush to tidy up the inside and brush off the door glass. This is on straight corn. So no creosote type build up just loose ash on the inside of the stove and the clinker block that builds in the bottom of the pot. I have to drop it every 1 1/2 days. before work one day then after work the next typically.
7CC6523C-5147-4190-B49C-7D54A0D9CC47.jpeg

Last edited:
Mixing pellets with corn basically eliminates clinker formation, at least for me it does. The dude in the video need to invest in a cheap natural bristle paintbrush and use it on his view window. It's nasty. Ibuy a pack of cheapo ones at HF. Called chip brushes. a dozen for 5 bucks.

Mixing pellets with corn basically eliminates clinker formation, at least for me it does. The dude in the video need to invest in a cheap natural bristle paintbrush and use it on his view window. It's nasty. Ibuy a pack of cheapo ones at HF. Called chip brushes. a dozen for 5 bucks.
Yeah I use a Natural bristle brush between shutdowns. But the stove had been running for probably 2 weeks since the last shutdown when I shot the video. St Croix burns the best on 100% corn. That is the nice thing with the St Croix burnpot, no need to shutdown to swap burn pots or clean stir rods or mix corn and pellets in trash cans ect. while burning corn. The hard clinker brick is not a bad thing in St Croix. you push the coal rake in when clinker is getting toward the top and add a few pellets then open the bottom and drop it out. Drop your fire back down into the bottom of the empty burn pot and you are fresh again. Not need to soften the clinker. I just brush glass and tidy up inside of the stove with the brush on the fly and empty ash pan and keep pushing.

I have the same model/vintage Lancaster installed in '09 and I burn a mix of corn/wood pellet to allow the "clinker" to be more, "powderous", approx - 20% wood pellet in each mix.
Why are you wanting the clinker to be powderous? Are you having problems with it sticking to the pot sides? Are you dropping on the fly like I did in the video? If it is not as easy to drop like I did in the video there are a few things I have learned over the years to make these run like a sewing machine.

Oh ok. When the clinker comes out it is brick hard. then the moisture in the air turns it granular in a couple days

:)