How fast are new wood stoves selling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wet1

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
USA
The reason I ask is my buddy wants to buy a new wood stove this fall (Hearthstone, Mansfield (?) I believe). Talking to the dealers and manufactures about pellets stoves, I hear they are selling at a record pace and that most manufactures are getting severely backed up, which means buyers might not be getting their new pellet stoves for a long time. Is the same true for the wood stoves? My buddy doesn't seem to be concerned at this point...

Does he need to move soon or are new wood stoves not selling as quickly as new pellet stoves?

This is the time of year to purchase a new stove, shortage or no shortage. Better selection, installation crews more available etc.

By all means he shouldn't wait until fall. He'll be competing for the dealer's crews and attention against many other people. Fall is a good time to sell a stove, now is a good time to buy.

That was my opinion as well. He's going to install it himself so he's not worried about getting the dealer's crew to install it, and I'm sure he'll even pick it up himself (assuming he's not ordering directly from the factory). I'm more concerned there might not be stoves available to buy come fall if the wood stove producers are moving units as fast as the pellet stove manufactures are. Then again, he said this a pretty high end stove (I know nothing about the brand) so maybe they won't move like the lower end stoves.

Anyone know anything about the Hearthstone stoves?

They are fantastic wood stoves. And very popular.

With fuel prices like this, by fall we might be quoting installs for 2009. I would act now.

I stopped in to my local woodstove place here in town to check on the status of VC, which he sells along with Harmon, Avalon, and some pellet brands. He said business is booming the last year or so and doing alot of installs. He has had to add an employee to his shop.

Was over at Preston Trading post for some cleaning supplies and the place as packed. I was there for about a half hour and eight stoves were sold!

And the funny part is how many people will have wet wood when it comes time to burn all these stoves? The classic rookie mistake and it makes burning miserable...if you are really going to pull the trigger get your wood now!!!

I purchased a Quadrafire 4100-I locally about three weeks ago, he had two in stock and gave me 10% off to help make the deal. We have been waiting for the stainless steel liner (35'), so that suggests that liner is in short supply. I think he got the liner as I see he charged my credit card for 1/2 the total price of the install, said he'd do that when he gets the part for installation. I haven't heard yet from the installer, a subcontract. If I don't hear form him by tomorrow I"ll call the store and see what to expect. At least I have the hardware "in hand' or in the dealer's hands.

I went for wood because I have a large property and many trees, which I do not plan to harvest, but if times get real tough I can. Hope I don't have to guard my trees against thieves, I see in the news theft of gasoline, including drilling holes in the gas tank of vehicles with good locking anti-siphon protection,is on the rise. A SUV with a 30 gallon tank could have $120 in fuel on board.

In Maine the cost of firewood has jumped $50/ cord (green, unseasoned wood) just since april. Now up to $210/cord green with delivery within 10 miles.Sources say it will jump to $300/cord in the fall. I have heard that there will be a shortage of wood pellets starting now and much worse if you wait until the last moment. Every seller /merchant is increasing their prices as they have to pay more for gas, heating , food etc. themselves, and of coarse greed is always a nasty by product of short supply It's a windfall for those in the supply sectors of heating and supplies . Simple economics. Supply and demand. Buy now or you will kick yourself a hundred times later when fall comes and dealers are short of stoves and fuel suppliers are short of wood, pellets, etc. Just like shovels and snowblowers in bad snowy winters and fans and air conditioners during a heatwave.
Just my opinion, Joe....Professional engineer, and past business and economics student.

I've heard double the sales of last year both pellet and wood. That's with speculation oil prices will burst and drop this Summer. I'm inclined to believe there will be no bubble bursts and there will be shortages of everything by October.
Don't read that as doom and gloom.
Just a much needed good year in the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.