How hard would it be to convert woodstove to heat water??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2007
I dont know if there is anyone doing this already...if there is let me know how its working and what your setup is. I have a PE summit and love it! I was thinking the only thing that would be better is to somehow have this also heating my water. Is this even possible? I know some indoor coal stoves have exchangers that can be purchased so why not with this stove. I dont use alot of hot water but it would be nice to not have my waterheater kicking on.

Any ideas??

Audrey

Best idea, IHMO, is to use a coil on the exterior of the firebox - in your case perhaps between the inner firebox and external jacket. There are some units which can fit inside the firebox, but there can be a problem with overheat, especially when the power goes out.

Here is an article that might help you get started:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/domestic_dhw

I have thought about doing this before and I guess the only thing that keeps me from doing it is the possibility of condensation from the pipes dripping on my furnace or blower. The way I'm set up I could only put the coil on the back of the stove to get any amount of heat and thats where the blower is.I could pobably rig up something to divert any condensation but right now I have bigger fish(projects) to fry.Maybe this winter I'll have more time to tackle this.

At my last place I placed a coil of 1/2" copper on top of our old riteway stove, placed hot water heater behind and above stove, and plumbed coil into top and bottom of hotwater tank. My experimental system worked surprisingly well.Free hot water all winter.

Check out this thread-https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13691/. There are other options. www.yukon-eagle.com has a device called the "hotrod" that goes into a firebox. I would make sure you have some safety devices and an install that prevents overheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.