How high should I run my stove pipe inside?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Muskoka Burner

Jan 14, 2018
Muskoka
Hello,

I am new to the forum. Lurking for a while now. I joined to ask if, in a through the wall installation, should I run my stove pipe up as high as possible before going through the wall? If I terminated at the minimum distance, I would have over 15' of chimney up the side of my house and roof. Would that be sufficient to reduce draft issues, or should I go as high as possible inside? I am installing an 1993 Houghes (Now century heating) wood stove. It is certified and has an air control lever. It can be seen in the picture just above the top right hand side of the door.

Thanks!
-Rob

IMG_9293.jpegIMG_1267.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a Haugh's S27. The stove pipe clearance must be taken into account so the distance from the wall thimble to the ceiling (or joists) needs to be taken into account. Single wall stovepipe needs 18" or more clearance, double-wall needs at least 9". Double-wall will keep the flue gases hotter which helps draft. If you can go up 3 ft before heading into the thimble that would work. Another option is to not go up to a 90º elbow, but instead to come up maybe a foot and then go to a 45º elbow, offset and then another 45º at the thimble. That can aid draft. However, this again depends clearances for the stove pipe.

With 15' of chimney outside the stove may draft ok. It's worth a try. You can add more chimney if needed later on. Will this be a basement install or 1st floor?

Reactions: Muskoka Burner
1st floor install. I plan on using double wall stove pipe inside. I am installing a heat shield on the wall to reduce clearance by 67%. I will be down to 4.5 inches from the masonry, so I don't think I would have enough space to do the 45 degree install as you suggested. I would prefer to do as little pipe inside as possible, but functionality is priority over aesthetics! For my heat shield, I am doing U-Channel (Though I haven't been able to find the right type here in Muskoka, Canada) with 22 gauge sheet metal on top followed by ½ cement board then masonry or tiles. I will be extending slightly past 18" on either side so I can add a 1" support on the ground on either corner for the shield while still maintaining my 18" side and 1" bottom clearances. It is also to my understanding that the Selkirk wall thimble kit has no clearance required. I plan on boxing it in between the studs for good measure. I would like to hear the comments of some of the seasoned pro's here on my ideas.

The height of the stove pipe would be determined by the height of the ceiling in the room it's going in. Once you go through the wall the height of the exterior chimney is determined by the pitch ofnthe roof and surrounding structures.

The height of the stove pipe would be determined by the height of the ceiling in the room it's going in. Once you go through the wall the height of the exterior chimney is determined by the pitch ofnthe roof and surrounding structures.
Thanks for the reply. I understand that. My questions was in regards to draft, and the ideal height to achieve that. So, you are saying I should go as high as my ceiling lets me?

Do you have the manual for the stove? I'm not sure about Canada, but in the US the clearance reduction can not be below 12" with an NFPA 211 wall shield unless the stove manual explicitly allows a lower clearance.

I think you may be fine with your chimney and recommend trying it with 15' outside first as long as that meets the 10-3-2 rule clearance requirements from the roof and structure. Some Century stoves breathe pretty easily. Give it a try.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that. My questions was in regards to draft, and the ideal height to achieve that. So, you are saying I should go as high as my ceiling lets me?

As high as your building code or any specific manufacturer's instructions say you can. As BG mentioned, 18" is required for single wall pipe to ceiling. Some double-wall pipe are listed for less and heat shields also allow clearance reductions to a point. I have no idea where Muskoka is or what codes apply to your area. Sorry.

If your chimney is on an outside wall then you must go 2' higher than anything within 10' and a minimum of 3' above the roof line. A chimney on a 4:12 roof must go a minimum of 64" above the gutter of you're going up that side of the house. Most stove instructions will list a minimum vent height for a particular appliance. That measurement can include the connector pipe rise inside the home. IOW, a house with a cathedral ceiling may have 12 feet of single wall in the house and another 4 feet of chimney going through the roof for a 16' vertical rise or you could have 2' of stovepipe in the house and 14' of chimney to accomplish the same thing.