How HOT is the air coming out of Your stove???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
emmelch1 said:
I saw one member , I think CWR stated his air is 320 degrees . WOW I thougt I was cooking at 225 degrees . At 225 My stove is getting pretty hot on the surface and the exhaust pipe is really hot. I have the US 6041 (MULTI-FUEL) . I think I would worry if was any hotter, the inside hopper surface facing the front of the stove gets pretty warm too !!! I know all stoves are different quality and different max heat ratings, but what would be a good guess at My Max. output before the stove would shut itself down ??????? Thanks

Lots of variables from stove to stove. Comparing to other stove makes it pretty tough, as the convection blower CFM, volume of fuel feed to the burnpot and heat exchange difference is impossable to compensate for. I would only compare yours to another US Stove 6039 or 6041. And even they you will get variance because of venting differences. Not to mention how the temp is measure and its location.

Just worry about your stove and try to be consistent on how and where you measure the temp.

Like xena said, It doesn't really matter. Well for day to day burning anyway, Go by your house thermostat and the warmth of the room. I only check temps when comparing pellets brand to brand. For trying to get the most heat for your buck should be the reason for temp checking. Another would be to check batch to batch consistency once you find the hottest pellet you can afford.

I wouldn't even try to guess the max heat of your stove. But you could check the temp near your high limit switch and compare to your max temp you posted. If the high limit is close to the same temp then as soon as that area hits 250ºF its probably going to trip the stove out for being to hot.

Just my 2.

Well I got a lot of good info again !!! The one poster who said his stove is pushing the 500 degree mark is pretty amazing !!! Must be one of the better built stoves , I'd be scared Mine would melt or ignite everything in the room , I picture the metal is way thicker then My 6041.
And as for the hottest pellets I can afford , I think I'll have fun every year looking for the best value out there (cheapest ) pellets I can find. I think so far the $3.74 , Green Team Pellets are going to be the Winners.

tjnamtiw said:
CWR said:
I have a digital thermometer with a type K thermocouple permanently mounted on top of the stove.. The thermocouple is in the far left hand heat exchanger tube. It's in about 3 inches. Normally it runs around 120 on low, 180 on 2, 250 on 3, 320 on 4, and I haven't run it much on 5. I took some pictures of my temperature monitor and posted them back a year or so ago. When I get a chance, I'll find them and post them.

Chan

Also, if you look at my data, the outer two tubes on my Quads have little or no airflow. I would recommend that you move the probe into the center tubes for a better feel for how hot MOST of your air is. I'd be interested in what you find. My guess is that the temps will be lower because the air is moving faster. I'm not familiar with your stove so I don't know what your settings 1-4 mean.

I have that information. You're correct. There is more airflow from the center tubes, thus the heat is lower because the air is moving fast and not picking up as much heat. There are 10 tubes on the bottom row. At the time I did the test, my left hand tube was 253 degrees. The rest were as follows

(253), 244, 240, 240, 242, 233, 239, 210, 200, 179. I don't know why the right hand tubes are a lot cooler but looking at the stove burning, I would guess it's a matter of air flow through the fire box.

I use the number more for a reference on how hot the stove is burning than for actual temperatures. I also have 12 upper level tubes and although I never tested them, I am sure they are much cooler as they are not in direct contact with the heat from the fire.

Chan

ChrisWNY said:
It's tough for me to measure the air coming directly out of my Fahrenheit furnace because it goes through about 14' or so of 10" to 8" ducting before being blown out into my great room. I'd estimate the air coming out of the 12x20" heat registers is somewhere around 115°F, but I haven't used an IR temp gauge to get a more accurate reading.

I have a meat thermometer sticking down one of my registers into the duct. I am running an Illinois Corn Stoves Biomass Furnace and on a 50/50 corn pellet mix with auger on 3 I get 140 degrees at that register. That is with the output fan running on high (1100cfm) and with a partial restriction of intake air. This seems about the best I can get with auger on 3. With no restriction of intake air it puts out about 130deg and the stack temp runs nearly 50deg hotter.

I bumped up the thread "Monitoring your discharge air temperature...It's easy!" There are pictures of my display and how I have it hooked up.

Chan

Hot enough to melt the last pellet bag i set on it...

emmelch,
Yea 225 f. is pretty warm on my 6039 insert. Right now it is about 225 f. in my center vent using my Taylor 9878e thermometer. I am burning Oakies on level 6 in auto with my manual damper about 3/4 " out. It has been running there for over 1/2 hr. There are many ways to measure your output and its good info for choosing pellets and trying to tune your rig for optimum output. I rarely run above level 6 for very long. You can of course run in manual mode and play with feed rates, draft fans etc. and raise the temp. by lowering your room fan. However as Zena stated its all about how warm you are! I just leave my stove in auto for the most part as family members don't really watch the stove close enough for me to be away from it 12-14 hours a day and be comfortable with safety and dependability. They can easily raise and lower the auto heat range for what they want. I simply measure the heat output the same way when I want to evaluate different pellets. Doesn't really matter what others stoves output, only yours. And I found that when you do a graph with other folks data it usually mimics pretty well with their findings. I have never seen anything over 260 f.(okies on 9 auto) with my stove and others have recorded much higher numbers. I know its 17 f. outside right now and I'm at the wrong end of the house and its 69 f. ,the living room is 74 f. oil monster is off and wife is laughing at the dogs. Life is good!!

Schoondog

tjnamtiw said:
That's some good heat!!! How many bags a day do you use up there in NY?

If you use an IR gun, be aware of this "Make sure that you are aiming the gun at a surface, be that a floor, wall or whatever you choose, at your target distance. No temperature gun measures ambient air temperature well and you will need to point the gun at a surface so that it can measure the reflected temperature."

http://www.ehow.com/how_7605286_read-gun-ten-feet-away.html

In this frigid weather (which is about to improve, 50°F is being forecasted for later next week), I have gone through about 4 bags per week. I primarily run the furnace in the late afternoon/evenings, 4-6 hours, during weekdays (no one is home during the day), and 10-12 hours per day on weekends. I don't burn 24x7 so my pellet usage is probably lower than average, especially considering we use the Fahrenheit as our primary heat source as I invested in the furnace to eliminate the use of LP gas for heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.