1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

How hungry is your gasifier?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by GS7, Sep 16, 2013.

1. skfire

skfire Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NEPA
    that may be part of the problem...10months old wood?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    buildings in signature. old house with some insulation upgrades and good windows. shop has 14' walls with a couple overhead doors. DHW year round. 7 - 8 cord / yr.
  3. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    was b
    was burning six cord a year in an old Ashly automatic just heating the house before the boiler and still had to supplement with elec. heat in the areas far from the stove.
  4. chuck172

chuck172 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sussex County, NJ
    My tarm has a over 5 cu. ft firebox. I'll bet I average at least one full load a day during the heating season. My boiler heats the domestic water also. When it gets cold out, I'll generally burn two full loads daily. I've found that to lower my wood use, I'll use my lopi endeavor wood stove whenever possible, and cut back on the Tarm.
  5. huffdawg

huffdawg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    4800 square ft. house and shop with suite upstairs. 1200 gal. storage. 8 cord. I burn every 2 to 3 days during the summer 90% douglas fir,10% hemlock.
  6. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    With my solo innova it takes probably 2-3 firebox full to heat my 1600 gallon unpressurized from 120 to 165 or so. I made some mistakes in designing the system, so next singer i think I'm going to fix it to better utilize the storage. But as it is it keeps my 1700 sq ft and domestic warm for 2 days in the heating season (fire every other day usually, can sometimes stretch to every third day), and almost a week and a half in the summer (just domestic).
  7. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    1. How many square feet are you heating? 4200 sq.ft. to about 68-70::F another 900 sq.ft. garage to 45 ::Fand dhw for 5
    2. How many gallons of storage do you have? 400 gallons
    3. How many cords of wood are you averaging each winter? 9-10 "real" cord ;lol

...and anything you'd like to add:) You are going to need well seasoned wood for your gassification boiler to perform nicely. :ZZZ