How is $325 a cord in northeastern MA....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteD

Hearth Supporter
Jun 4, 2008
Here
...for C/S/D mixed hardwood that was cut and split last fall?

I know it is not cheap, but a local nursery charges $449 for seasoned and $328 for green, and I have only seen as low as $250 for green.

The cost of living in my area is high and I need to get a jump on my wood for my first year. I have have close to a cord of free well-seasoned (2 years) oak from my property and plan to scrounge and cut a bunch of poplars and other trees on my property by this fall for next winter.

I am in the middle of my Lennox Brentwood install and feeling the pressure to get wood.

Thanks,
Pete

PeteD said:
...for C/S/D mixed hardwood that was cut and split last fall?

I know it is not cheap, but a local nursery charges $449 for seasoned and $328 for green, and I have only seen as low as $250 for green.

The cost of living in my area is high and I need to get a jump on my wood for my first year. I have have close to a cord of free well-seasoned (2 years) oak from my property and plan to scrounge and cut a bunch of poplars and other trees on my property by this fall for next winter.

I am in the middle of my Lennox Brentwood install and feeling the pressure to get wood.

Thanks,
Pete

for that money rent a truck like a uhaul or dump truck for 100 and go pick it up from worc.....325 i would go with the 250 green buy 2 cds stack half and layout some where they will get the most sun and hope you can burn it late dec.... it won't be fully seasoned but manageable.......get some pine to mix in with it to help it burn cleaner...... because pine dries pretty quick and burns hot ... over here in western mass some are still 175 cd NOW so i know this winter will see 200-250 easily

Adios Pantalones said:
Unfortunately- that's the sort of price that I've been seeing in this area.

is that because you guys are so far up north and maybe they cross lines to deliver???

A full cord of good hardwood is roughly equivalent tp 100-125 gals of fuel oil.

With the oil you don't have to stack/carry or cleanup. Firewood should be discounted vs the equiv oil for these reasons.

Do the math- $449 is way to high.

Market forces are starting to act on the price of oil anyway. It could be much lower when heating season comes.

gerry100 said:

With the oil you don't have to stack/carry or cleanup. Firewood should be discounted vs the equiv oil for these reasons.

Market forces are starting to act on the price of oil anyway. It could be much lower when heating season comes.

very good point i believe oil is gonna drop at least a buck .....its election year and rep will get slammed if they don't bring it down by sept before the elec..... at a cord for 350 vs 449 makes you wonder about turning the thermostat down ......i myself might opt out for 449 and save all the work.... in the ops case he could burn what he has sparingly and use the oil but he would really have to be carful
but hey don't for trans fluid , diesel, they burn well so mix in if times get hard enough

Iceman- still $325, but the "seasoned rejects" looks like a deal!

Pete- avoid anything that says something like "semi-seasoned". Even a dealer's claim of "seasoned" is often not reliable. Anyone that's bought CSD firewood that was supposed to be seasoned has been burned on the deal. The "seasoned rejects" in iceman's link should be considered if you're near the Mingya Valley.

Adios Pantalones said:
Iceman- still $325, but the "seasoned rejects" looks like a deal!

Pete- avoid anything that says something like "semi-seasoned". Even a dealer's claim of "seasoned" is often not reliable. Anyone that's bought CSD firewood that was supposed to be seasoned has been burned on the deal. The "seasoned rejects" in iceman's link should be considered if you're near the Mingya Valley.

I think I am too far from there - see my previous post. Actually, those rejects are $125 seasoned and I had seen them. I suppose I could call and maybe offer to pay a delivery charge - BUT, I am about 30 miles from Methuen.

Pete

gerry100 said:

I agree that $449 is way too high, but I think a cord of hardwood is more like 150 to 200 gallons of oil from all the calculations I have done and references that I have seen.

See Craig's first post:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/19180/

My numbers match his...

Thanks,
Pete

More southern (toward RI), I just ordered 2 cords at $285 delivered (that's with an extra fee for distance). Though I haven't heard back from the guy with confirmation yet :)

I had another guy delivering for $290 + $15, wood split supposedly in "Jan/Feb", which I'm cancelling as soon as I get confirmation from the first guy (don't have space to store all that many cords here right now)... he was going to deliver last week, and now it's next week, and I'd just as soon use the other, cheaper price from a bigger operator.

[quote author="Adios Pantalones" date="1216838646"]Iceman- still $325, but the "seasoned rejects" looks like a deal!

Pete- avoid anything that says something like "semi-seasoned". Even a dealer's claim of "seasoned" is often not reliable. Anyone that's bought CSD firewood that was supposed to be seasoned has been burned on the deal. The "seasoned rejects" in iceman's link should be considered if you're near the Mingya Valley.[/quote

there is no way i would buy seasoned in july i would get the stuff that was 250 that was what i was trying to point out i am sorry for being confusing
he has a chd now at his house if i am correct ...... i would get some would now for 250 spread it out debark it if need be and hope for the best he might make it by end dec

Have you looked into Bio Bricks? It may be cheaper to buy a ton or two of those to mix in with your free wood?

www.biopellet.net

I was a little confused, but now I get it.

I do have room to lay out wood in short small stacks with sun exposure and plenty of air holes - two one direction, with two in the opposite direction, and so on.

I believe that oak will take longer than 6 months to season, although I have some freshly cut and split oak (few weeks ago) laid out in my yard right now to monitor the moisture content with my newly arrived meter.

Can I expect most other hardwoods to season by January, if laid out from a green delivery? Any chance the oak will be ready in 6 months?

Thanks for the advice,
Pete

remind me to NEVER MOVE THERE! for $325 I can get 4 cord of logs here or 2 cord of already split

anyone know the dimensions of them?

Adirondackwoodburner said:
remind me to NEVER MOVE THERE! for $325 I can get 4 cord of logs here or 2 cord of already split

I have a lot of friends in MA from NY State and quite a few of them do like to complain about the cost of living here. A lot of people do come here from New York, though because of taxes and the decline of industry/business in parts of New York State. I am an environmental engineer and have spend at least a few weeks in different parts of New York state almost every year for the past 15. Beautiful country for sure....

Pete

yes it is, especially in the ADK's where I live

Here in NW CT, cord wood is about $200-$225 a cord cut and split. Bio-bricks at the local place that sells them are going for $260 a ton (claimed to be equal to at least one GOOD, well seasoned cord).

It's probably too late for this year, but I think if you uncover a few rocks you might find some smaller tree services that sell to local customers. I was able to sneak in just under the wire with a local tree service for a couple of reasonably priced cords with a reference from the guys at the dump (actually transfer station these days). I'm also considering BIO Bricks as a backup in case I burn more than expected. From what I've seen, anyone advertising on their website is looking for top dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.