how is an adjustable pipe different then a pipe with the end cut off?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2011
midwest
couldnt get pipe apart so i cut it and put an adjustable pipe in it. the adjustable pipe is no different then a pipe with the end cut off so whys it such a bad thing? they are essentially the same.

Dang its hard to explain. One piece of inner pipe slips over the other inner pipe. Same for the outer wall too! Like a telescoping tube.

Err, Hope thats understandable?

3650 said:
couldnt get pipe apart so i cut it and put an adjustable pipe in it. the adjustable pipe is no different then a pipe with the end cut off so whys it such a bad thing? they are essentially the same.

Not really. What you don't see in the adjustable part of the pipe is another seal. At least thats how mine is.

With an adjustable pipe, the inner and outer tubes of the adjustable pipe are designed to slide over the outside of the outer tube of a standard pipe and inside the inner tube of the standard pipe. It performs much like a wall sleeve, where the inside and outside wall baffles overlap and slide to adjust to the width of the wall. When you cut a pipe, you destroy the integrity of the pipe.

3650 said:

The adjustable pipe has male and female ends.

Did you buy a female section of adjustable pipe and whack the end off of your pipe to get the male?

Or did you go the more cruel route and buy a male and whack the end off of yours to get a female?

If one was to purchase two normal pieces of pipe, how would you get one to slide inside the other when both pieces would be of equal diameter?

Just a guess if there was a fire, the insurance company would say that by cutting the pipe you have voided the UL (or in Canada CSA) certification. You could always phone your agent and ask them.

TLHinCanada said:
Just a guess if there was a fire, the insurance company would say that by cutting the pipe you have voided the UL (or in Canada CSA) certification. You could always phone your agent and ask them.

Assuming the cut pipe somehow caused a fire which would have to proven first.

The insurance company would then still have to pay for the damage to the house.

i guess ill burn my other stove as a primary and only use this one while im present, until i can get another 13' run.

Status
Not open for further replies.