how is this thing going to heat when it gets really cold??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont know much about that stove, what makes it worth the $500 when you can get a new englander or us stove countryhearth 2000 for slightly more money

Those US stoves at tractor supply are made pretty well for the price. Looks like your looking for a economical option and the US stove would be fine.

But if your wood is sub-par and not seasoned these newer EPA stoves will give you fits.

The US stove are your basic secondary air tube or baffle stove.

Get the medium size since your barn may not be insulated well. Plus you can get an all night burn with it easier.

Find you some really dry wood to buy as thats the most important thing you can do.

They are well built and soapstone. It's a Cat stove vs a Tube stove. Really it's more (decorative) than you'll need in a barn. It's a few thousand $$ new, that I know. If you're wanting a new stove where you don't need to worry about if someone's overfired it, cracked it, etc I think an Englander would do just fine in your barn. But that's just my opinion, and the Republic is my first stove. Truthfully, if Englander had the clearances the Lopi does I probably could be running one of their stoves as happily as the one I have. When we ordered the stove, we hadn't closed on the Cottage yet and thought we would have a smaller living room than we ended up with (had to remove the whole floor, joists and all, so a closet that took up part of the footprint had to go and we decided not to rebuild it). I know a few inches isn't much, but coming from a house with a living room that's 9' wide, we wanted as much space as possible, so the 4" rear clearance was what sold me 100% on the stove (I wanted an Endeavor anyway, but the clearance sealed the deal). Plenty of people here heat their homes with Englanders, they are a good solid stove from what I hear.

That Woodstock is an antique - I doubt that it has air wash to keep the glass clean, not a huge deal, but for sure needs a new combustor if not more... PLUS a supply of really good, dry wood.

I have an old one like that with all the cat guts stripped out - just a soapstone box. I was going to take it to the factory for a refurb, but I'm pretty sure they said that design is not conducive to adding airwash... it is the same design as their Classic, which has no window. So I didn't bother doing it, since what's the point of a Fireview without a clean view of fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.