How long do liners last?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
I've searched around here and the net and still can't really find what I'm looking for. How long does a typical 316ti liner last? It will be installed in a interior chimney that still has the clay flue tiles in (therefore, I'm not insulating it).

We offer a 25 year warranty.... But officially I will offer a lifetime warranty on any product I sell....

I've installed for over twenty years and have serviced many of the same flues for as long. Went back to the first liner job we ever did and after all those cords of wood and through one insert and it's replacement that liner still looks like new. I have never had to replace a liner we installed due to liner failure, and that applies to at least six different brands/alloys. I have every expectation that with proper installation and regular service a 316ti liner will last a "lifetime".....50 years +

blackgooseJT

Will burning driftwood reduce the lifetime significantly?

I'm guessing the salt in the driftwood would have a detrimental effect on the life of the liner. How much depends on how much salt in the driftwood.

burning driftwood, garbage, treated lumber, plastics etc. would void any warranty. The chlorides present in driftwood would eat up a metallic liner. Most manufactureers also limit their warranty when dealing with coal because of the aggresive nature of the exhaust.

blackgooseJT

Thanks guys! That puts my mind at easy. I'm going to see how the stove operates with this setup for a few years. I may rebuild the masonary chimney eventually, but if the liner really holds up that long, I guess I don't have to worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.