How long does it take gasket cement to dry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
Of course its 21 degrees here and I never replaced the gasket. Just how long does the stove have to sit idle before firing it up. The package says 12-24 hours and it is rutledge if I remember right. Its a hampton HI300 so it has a groove to hold it in place... Its about 4 or 5 years old. Thats about the life span I got out of the gasket on my old insert....sound about right to you guys?

It will dry soon after you light the stove.

Dune said:
It will dry soon after you light the stove.

LOL isn't that the truth! He may have trouble opening the doors after though lol.. Actually I followed the instructions and I think after scraping out the old gasket you place the cement in the channel where the gasket is going then let it dry until tacky then lay in the gasket rope. Then place a sheet of newspaper between the door and the stove and close it up and let is sit for 4 hours.. You are then ready to burn..

Ray

In my case I will not even get gasket on the side that touches the stove itself. The rope fits in a channel and all the cement should stay in there... 4 hours, well thats do-able...

Status
Not open for further replies.