How long does it take you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
From a cold start, to shutting down the air and being able to walk away... How long does it take you?

After about 10 min I can turn the primary down to about 1/2 open. I usually stay between 1/4 and 1/2 open for first load which is usually a small to medium load.
After that I do more full reload on those coals. Once I have sone decent flames I cut primary air all the way and then stove cruises.

Half hour maybe, unless I really crank it up, which I don't particularly care to do..

From a cold start, to shutting down the air and being able to walk away... How long does it take you?
It depends.
If the wood is wet, it may take indefinitely. Open it up, start it up, and wonder when I can get it all closed back up to run. Luckily, year 1 was just that, but only then. Learn a little, live a little, next year was another year. Like Bart said, you didn't know what you was miss'n. Dry wood, top down, stack is up in 5min, close it up at 15.

Depends, 10-15 minutes typically.

Reactions: Mech e
An hour on cold starts for the cat stove.

An hour on cold starts for the cat stove.
Really? 30 mins max for me. The regency was 15 maybe 20 in this house. The old house if I opened up both dampers it could be up to temp in well under 10 mins. But I had rediculous draft there.

1h on the BK
20-40min on the VC
Both cold starts

Reactions: Highbeam
Hot coal bed reloads:
VC 10-15min
Every 8 to 12 hours
BK 30-45min
Every 18-24 hours

BK requires less babysitting for sure.

In my Summit it's about 15 min with fir, and about 20 with maple or birch.

half hour on cold starts, 20 minutes on reloads

I give my self 35 minutes in the morning to go from coal bed to shut down and comfortable walking. I rarely go cold start to shutdown. I always kindle a small load to get coals, then stuff the box on the kindled coals. Usually 1-2 hours. But the stove doesn't go out much.

I agree with Highbeam and Diabel - an hour for the cat stove from a dead cold start.
I burn three small logs down to hot coals and then load the stove.

From a completely stone cold start to when I can walk away about an hour or a bit more. That includes cleaning out the ashes of the last fire and running the brush through the clean out tee a few times.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

First fire in the morning is pine.
During shoulder season that's usually a cold start and I'l load and light and set my watch timer for ten minutes and after ten minutes come back and turn the air down if it took off good. I might or might not sit there for a few minutes to make sure it doesn't choke and start smoking. So, maybe 15 minutes on a good day.
We have nice dry wood and starts are usually dependably uneventful and rather boring.
Nice dry pine doesn't take much for coals in the morning as well.

Reactions: MissMac
Cold start . . . half hour to an hour.

But I really like what Spudman said . . . sometimes things just don't go the right way . . . so sometimes it really is as long as it takes. When I leave the home with the fire going I want to be sure it is in "cruising" mode . . . if it means being a bit late for work, so be it.

Reactions: MissMac and Diabel
20 minutes to an hour.

Variables:

Delta - inside vs.outside temperature
Softwood vs. hardwood
Moisture content
Atmospheric conditions if the wood is brought from outdoors. Even if the wood is covered it takes longer if the air is damp.
Type of wood
Amount of kindling used and the size of the first load of splits

Other factors which seem to have a bearing include:
How soon I really want to be in bed
What time is my appointment
Is company present
And of course, how cold the house is.

If two or more of the last set of factors are present it may take two hours.

• Love
Reactions: ispinwool
Just did a semi hot reload. 17min from dropping the first split in the box to comfortably be able to leave the house for extended period of time (a dinner for example).
Murphy’s law however, when you need to be somewhere for a specific time....the stove will not cooperate. I allow my self extra 1h for such instances. Or if I am pressed time wise....I will let the fire go out. It is al lot nicer to come back home to a cold stove than a bunch of firefighterjakes in your back yard.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Cold start after a sweep, cat vacuum, and blow through and bypass adjustment. 4:20pm. Closed bypass at 4:36. Shut therm to cruise at 4:50. Stove top temp is 600F and will climb a touch before its done. Looks like 30 minutes overall. Mostly softwood load. Hardwood can be a somewhat longer routine for me.

Reactions: firefighterjake
BK princess - ball park 15-20min on average.