How long is a burn time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

If you define the end of a load of wood’s burn time by stove top temperature, then how low is the te

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
SolarAndWood said:
Slow1 said:
(i.e. perhaps if one were to monitor such things it could be an indication of a Cat needing to be cleaned or replaced? Chimney cap being plugged?)

Now you're talkin. Remote monitoring of stove temp, cat temp, weight of fuel remaining in firebox and remote control of the thermostat and fans. If they can put scales on the buckets of payloaders at the quarry and control a combine via satellite, controlling a stove should be a snap.

Hey - don't forget the CO sensor in the flue!

Look - I'm a bit obsessive I'll grant you. But I do find it fun to try and optimize systems that don't lend themselves well to it - such as my stove. However, it is hard to know if I'm close to optimal without knowing what is possible. One way to do so is to compare to others, something I can't do without a common language. Oh well, back to work.

Burn time for me is around a 200 degree stove top because it seems like this is where my stove is still producing usable heat and will still have a good coal bed for reloading a full load of splits. Now that I'm burning 24/7 I'm on a reloading (full load) schedule of every 12 hours give or take an hour. The stove is at 200-250 after 12 hours with plenty of coals to just fill her up again. Right now this schedule works good for me to keep the house in the mid 70's 24 hours a day, as the temps fall my reload schedule will increase to 3 times per day or approx every 8 hours.

Todd said:
Burn time for me is around a 200 degree stove top because it seems like this is where my stove is still producing usable heat and will still have a good coal bed for reloading a full load of splits. Now that I'm burning 24/7 I'm on a reloading (full load) schedule of every 12 hours give or take an hour. The stove is at 200-250 after 12 hours with plenty of coals to just fill her up again. Right now this schedule works good for me to keep the house in the mid 70's 24 hours a day, as the temps fall my reload schedule will increase to 3 times per day or approx every 8 hours.

And by that it sounds like you have the PERFECT stove for your house, your climate, and your wood supply. I think many people who struggle and aren't able to be as cyclical and consistent with their burning habits because they are not as well paired as you are.

I agree w/ your definition. I think those w/ a different one may often be trying to ask to much from too small a stove for their house / climate / wood source.

pen

Todd said:

STOP STOP you are making me crazy.

That is pretty impressive.
I think 2-3 times a day would be great.
I think I load 5-6 times a day.
Wish I had all this info before I bought!

Burn time for me is around a 200 degree stove top because it seems like this is where my stove is still producing usable heat and will still have a good coal bed for reloading a full load of splits. Now that I’m burning 24/7 I’m on a reloading (full load) schedule of every seven days give or take a day.

kenny chaos said:
Burn time for me is around a 200 degree stove top because it seems like this is where my stove is still producing usable heat and will still have a good coal bed for reloading a full load of splits. Now that I’m burning 24/7 I’m on a reloading (full load) schedule of every seven days give or take a day.

Must be nice to have a cat stove! :roll:

pen

pen said:
kenny chaos said:

Must be nice to have a cat stove! :roll:

pen

Kenny's got a little uranium deposit he hasn't told anyone about.

Like others stated, burn time for me is when I can still get her going again on coals. That's been between 9-11 hours with our Oslo. The wood has been the big deciding factor for us.

Adios Pantalones said:
I don't see a 2370F option. Friggin Vic.

I think that would be a vote in the 350+ category. WAY -WAY above. But thats what you get for trying to cook dirt. :coolsmirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.