How long should a stove last

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember the exact year my stove was purchased, but somewhere right around 1970. It's going on 40 years of service. Dad bought it new in Wisconsin Rapids, which also is where it was made, I think. After he passed away, Mom used it until she couldn't handle burning wood anymore. Then it was handed down to me and replaced the junk stoves I had previously been using. It's basically a heavy steel box, somewhat like a Fisher, lined with firebrick, and has thick cast iron doors. In all those years it hasn't had so much as a firebrick replaced. I have no doubt that I will also be handing it down someday.

Keep it out of the rain and it will last longer than you will.

I visited this stove shop a couple weeks ago, VERY OLD STOVES. If you want to see some strange stoves, this is the place, and his back yard is as interesting as the stoves. A fun place to visit if you're in the west half of MA.

http://www.goodtimestove.com

Maybe we should focus on what makes stoves "die" ...

The stove I've had the longest, 21 years, a Dutchwest Federal "air-tight" is being replaced
because it's developed leaks along the seams between the cast-iron plates, and as a result,
it's tough to get it to hold a fire all night, and when you try to burn it low, enough smoke
leaks into the house to create a subtle but unmistakable smoke odor. Also, thanks to
my over-firing tendencies, some of the internal parts have cracked, most notably the
grate below the catalytic converter - I replaced it once, but it cracked again soon
thereafter. So I've decided to move on, esp with the 30% tax credit. I expect a
less-affluent friend to make good use of the stove for a number of add'l years. If he
feels up to it (I do not), he can tear it down and re-assemble.

It is my fervent hope the the BK Princess will last a lot longer, that is, for the rest of
my time in this house, or life, whichever comes first. I'm hoping that, due to the steel
construction, it won't develop leaks, and it will be more tolerant of over-firing. And if
leaks do occur, they can be fixed with a simple spot-weld.

RustyShackleford said:
Maybe we should focus on what makes stoves "die" ...

The stove I've had the longest, 21 years, a Dutchwest Federal "air-tight" is being replaced
because it's developed leaks along the seams between the cast-iron plates, and as a result,
it's tough to get it to hold a fire all night, and when you try to burn it low, enough smoke
leaks into the house to create a subtle but unmistakable smoke odor. Also, thanks to
my over-firing tendencies, some of the internal parts have cracked, most notably the
grate below the catalytic converter - I replaced it once, but it cracked again soon
thereafter. So I've decided to move on, esp with the 30% tax credit. I expect a
less-affluent friend to make good use of the stove for a number of add'l years. If he
feels up to it (I do not), he can tear it down and re-assemble.

It is my fervent hope the the BK Princess will last a lot longer, that is, for the rest of
my time in this house, or life, whichever comes first. I'm hoping that, due to the steel
construction, it won't develop leaks, and it will be more tolerant of over-firing. And if
leaks do occur, they can be fixed with a simple spot-weld.

I think you will be please with the BK durability.

My comments do not address your specific Jotul question.

My 1983 Energy Harvester smiled at me today.
I smiled back.
Over 25 years.

But the reality of it is you will be pressured, tempted or publicly humiliated by the techno-weenies to get in line, spend $2k and upgrade even if you don't need to.

Use logic that is in line with other purchases you make within a budget.
Consider older stoves in good condition or recently referbished that were top of the line in their day that someone is trying to move out of their house for free or short money.

Status
Not open for further replies.