How long till burnt paint smell is gone ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce P

Aug 10, 2015
Whiting NJ
So I have been getting my Oslo burning better recently , 6 hour burn time. This is my second season with it. Bought it new. When it gets up over 400 degrees I still get the new stove burnt paint smell. I burned two cords last year. Why am I still smelling it ?

Every time you hot a new high temperature there will be paint smell. I had an Oslo put in in Feb 2014. I did the proper break in fires and got a lot of paint smell the first few weeks. I thought that was it, but I got some paint smell when I started the stove up again in the fall. It disappeared about November (after about a month of burning). So figure 3 months of daily use before it is totally gone.

Some say a few days (three or four successively hotter fires up to about 550-600F) should do it. 400F may just not be hot enough to for the special paint to cure. But sometimes after 4 years, I'll still get some paint smell. In my case I think it's because my double insulated pipe never gets hot enough to really do the job and if it gets a bit too hot, it's still gassing off a little.

I'm not sure if Oslo has any special curing requirements, so be sure you to it by the book. You may have to ease it up to higher temps within the Oslo specs.

Sometimes dust can smell like that too.

The stove needs to get over 500F to fully bake in the paint. 600F is even better to get it over and done with.

As mentioned you may smell it for quite awhile until it reaches 600 degrees or so . . . and then even after that if you reach a higher temp you may have a bit of a smell --but it will most likely be more of a "hot stove" smell.

I "lucked" out . . . did my three break in fires, ran the stove for awhile with very little paint smells and then I had a hot fire one day . . . ran the stove pretty warm (not into overfiring territory thankfully) . . . and that accident pretty much meant an end to the curing paint smell. As I said, I still get the hot stove smell occasionally when it is running a bit hotter than I like -- a metallic smell.

I had a few super hot fires last year when i forgot to cut it back, up to 700 degrees one time. Got the smell the other night at 400 or so degrees.

Sometimes dust can smell like that too.

It's gotta be dust. That's the smell that comes back every year on the first few hotter fires.

Reactions: huauqui
And I have 4 foot of double insulated pipe so maybe thats it I did the proper break in also
If the air is left open too long the flue will get very hot even though the stove top is not too hot. That will also create the paint baking smell, especially with double-wall stove pipe.

So I have been getting my Oslo burning better recently , 6 hour burn time. This is my second season with it. Bought it new. When it gets up over 400 degrees I still get the new stove burnt paint smell. I burned two cords last year. Why am I still smelling it ?

Don't be afraid to get that stove up to 600 deg. for a short period. It'll handle more than that, but let it get up there for a few minutes and then shut her down...I had very little smell during my break in (new Oslo stove this October). Just yesterday, maybe the 20th time I've fired it up...got it up to just about 600 deg. and had a little smell for about 15 minutes...then gone. This is the best stove going when adding in all the aspects...style, heat, simplicity. The smell will disappear, keep burning....run it a little hotter once in a while when it's real cold. It appears that some people have had a harder time getting rid of the smell....not sure if Jotul used a different supplier for cement or paint...etc. Eventually, the only smell will be when you fire it up for the first time in the fall when all the dust burns off from the hard to reach areas you can't get into to clean!

Status
Not open for further replies.