how long will a jotul non cat last?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ncmallard78

Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2007
NC
10 years?

20 years?

I was told that jotul stoves have low annual maintance and will last a long time. how long?

I just sold an old Jotul Combifire 4 which is a heavy guage steel stove for $200. It had to be at least 30 years old and was in great shape. No cracks, nothing wrong at all. Like anything, the better you take care of it the longer it will last. Don't overfire it..ever! I think that is the single best thing you can do to get a long life out of it. Also, don't do stupid things like putting ice covered wood in your nice hot stove or dumping water on it. I think you should be able to get at least 10-15 years, if not 20 to 30. If its a cast stove, you may need to do a rebuild here and there.

The combifire is cast iron just like the current stoves. I think jpl has it right - Jotul has sold 100's of thousands of stoves in the USA and millions in the world, and it is quite rare that I head of one being scrapped (although certainly possible)....

Another piece of good news - parts tend to be available for decades. For instance, you can still easily get parts for original 602's and some other. I would say that parts should be available for 20-30 years (and maybe more through 3rd parties).

Also correct that life depends on use. But we found what you say to be generally true (our shop has sold Jotul for 25 years).

The combifire is cast iron
The metal was so thick that it seemed like cast, but is shape always led me to believe it was steel. Never had a manual on the stove so I nver really knew. Thanks for clearing that up Craig.

Howdy-

Ours was installed when the home was first built - in 1975!!!

Still going strong; replaced the 'rope' seal on the door last year.

Looking forward to many more years of warmth from her.....

So, I guess the answer is: Longer than most of us.....

Status
Not open for further replies.