How long will that stove (or) insert last?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODplay

Hearth Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Lower Micigan
I was asked the other day (how long will that stove last?) With that being a good question I thought I would make a post and ask you… So how many years have you had your stove (or) insert :question: I have a 2010 Lopi Endeavor so I’m new to this. :)

A well built stove, burned correctly, will last a long, long time!

I currently burn an Oslo, which was installed in 2009. Unless wood burning technology changes drastically for the better; and I can't resist the "new and improved" models coming out, I expect that the Oslo will be the last stove I ever buy! (Except that I may put a stove in the basement to take the chill off there!)

As you can see in my signature, I also have two antique stoves - an Ideal Clarion parlour stove (1873) and a Kineo cast iron cook stove (1910). Both of these stoves are still 'like new.' I used both for about 10 years, and they were probably used for 70+ years before I purchased them!

If not abused a good stove should last 20 years or more. Depending on the design, there may be some maintenance required to keep it running like new. For example, in your Endeavor it may need a brick replacement at some point. But with some occasional attention you can expect to hand the stove over to the grandkids.

I tell folks 20 years for a good stove, with some periodic replacing of gaskets, baffles, handles, etc. Of course, I've seen stoves in fine condition much older than that, but thats my standard answer and I'm stickin to it.

I bought the Englander 30 in 2006 and told them down at the factory when I was there that I had the daunting realization that I was buying my last wood stove. I am now 63 and it appears that I was right.

Now, if a really slick stove catches my eye...

Mines already, like, a million..

But I think if we pull normal maintenance, which I figure will include gaskets around the door every few years, and maybe a tear down and rebuild in 20 or so years, should last forever.

My dad's buck insert was put in in '77, and it's still their sole source of heat.

'Burn 24/7 during the season, as sole heat for 2000 feet. The Jotul firelight was installed for 99/2000 season. It's fine, going strong. My extended family still uses a 1918 Quick Meal wood/coal cook-stove to this day, albeit on weekends and vacations only.

Regards

I've been running a cast iron stove since the fall of '03. I've been running a steel/cast iron insert a month.

I think longevity depends on how you take care of it. I get the impression that abuse wears out a stove much more than use. If you don't overfire it (often or by much) ... replace gaskets and re-cement seams when you should instead of letting it go ... fill the stove but not stuff it so full you need to slam the door shut to get it to lock ... they will probably last 50 years by replacing firebrick, latches, reburn tubes and the like. Keep the thing glowing cherry red for hours at a time and smash the door closed on a few oversized logs I bet you could kill one in 50 hours of use.

BeGreen said:
If not abused a good stove should last 20 years or more.

Well, then my Oslo should last my lifetime (I'm old!)! :)

So... then... either I have to make provisions in my will for transfer of woodstove ownership, or, my alternate plan of taking my Oslo to the grave with me should work out. I've got it figured out to mount my Oslo as my tombstone with the legs stuck into a cement base; etch the interior of the glass with my birth/death dates; our kids, if they choose to visit my final resting place, can put artificial flowers (seasonal appropriate) inside the firebox so the flowers won't blow away in the wind........ Sound like a plan???:)

Seriously, we have a Giant Oak pot belly stove sitting in our kitchen - decorative use only.

My stove was built in 1985. Even though it was overfired to the point of needing the back plate replaced, it's still running pretty well.......for an older model.

I used my old stove, Dutchwest Sequioa for 18 years. I was considering whether to reseal the plates and buy a new cat. But chose to try out a new non-cat burn tube stove. I really liked my old stove - it was a cast iron beast - and is probably still burning wood as I sold it on CL. Cast iron is tough stuff and can last decades. There is maintenance - gaskets, baffles, etc. - but these aren't too expensive and are worth replacing when you have a well designed/constructed stove. I expect the new Oslo to last just like my old stove. And I am treating better thanks to the advice on this forum. No more hammering that last piece of wood. ;-)

Retired a non cat BK at 24 years...could have went longer..but wanted a cat to save some wood and get longer burn times,and yet,more even heat.

Green Energy said:
And I am treating better thanks to the advice on this forum. No more hammering that last piece of wood. ;-)

Ain't it the truth? I can't believe some of the things I did to my old stove. This one gets babied in comparison. In fact banging those big N/S splits against the back of the firebox while it was burning full tilt is what broke it. :red:

Running a VC Vigilant built in 1978. Stove was my Pepere's and now mine. My father bought a VC Defiant that same year- that stove is still heating most of his house- both burn 24/7.

Take care of the stove, do regular maintenance, take the time to tear down every few years to reseal it and it will last a long, long time.

I know there are at least 3 pre EPA stoves within a mile of me. The old Blaze King my parents installed in their home is the 70's is still being used.

The Lopi stoves seemed to be built particularly heavy compared to other stoves I looked at. I was at TSC today and looked at their wood stoves. My Endeavor is built like the proverbial brick *&^%house compared to those stoves. The dealer I purchased from said he has had one customer replace their burn tubes on their Endeavor.

My osburn is ten days old. I'm hoping to have it forever. I guess we'll see what happens.

BrotherBart said:
I bought the Englander 30 in 2006 and told them down at the factory......that I was buying my last wood stove.
BrotherBart said:
924 degrees on the top plate.
It's apparently very hard to crack it down the middle or melt it. ;-)

I have a ROHN stove its at least 20+ years old and still going strong, its had a fire brick or two replaced over the years and new rope insulation put in the door once. But other than that it purr's like a kitten. 0 outside and a cozy 74 inside today.

Consolidated Dutchwest 2460 w/cat, bought new 1996, burning as I type. A few new gaskets (3 to be exact), on my 3rd. cat and the stove was pulled apart last fall and re cemented where the old cement had fallen out. Should buy a new door glass, but then I'd have to re-gasket. Currently it's mid teens (f) outside, low 70's throughout the 1900 sq.ft. house. Haven't had a cold stove for over a week now.

The darned thing just keeps chugging along. New ain't always better.

The smoke dragon in the basement, which is used only when it is *really* cold or to burn old boxes, Xmas wrapping paper etc. is over 20 years old. It's never had new gaskets, probably should have 'em though.

My Jotul 3 TD is 24 years old but guests imagine it's brand-new. It certainly looks that way. But, then again, it's had pretty gentle use over that time period. It was not used for several years before I bought it used and has only been used for a few months a year at our summer/vacation home.
ChipTam

We've had a couple of very old stoves. The last stove before the Fireview went around 25 years. We figure the Fireview will no doubt last us the rest of our lives. Of course, if the wife would ever agree to the new house then we'd get one of the new Woodstock stoves that are coming out very soon.

I have an ashley automatic that is 30 - 40 years old and will be retired this spring do to warpage and getting a new boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.