How Loud is Your Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G-rott

Jan 7, 2006
Petoskey Michigan
As I turn up the air to char the last load for the night the stove realy "tings" and "pops". I don't notice it that often durring the rest of the day, probably due to all the other sounds in the house.

Then as I close the air down for the night more "tings" and "pops" and even a few "creaks".

Is this common with all new tighter cast stoves? Could be the new house is just so quiet I hear it more.

Mines 26 years old, steel, I hear that steel baffle tick away when added wood starts to flame up. or if I go from like 300 degrees stove top to 600+. If the TV's off, quiet house, it'll sound a little creaky!

DonCT said:
Mine does the same thing as it heats up. It's just the stove expanding. Once I get it to temp, it settles down and I can usually only hear a light woosh sound as the air is drawn into the firebox.

Same here...anytime there is a temp change everything has to get used to it's new size. No real harm or sign that anything is wrong...just the nature of the beast.

Corey

Same here, mine will even groan a bit when I toss in fresh splits. The splits draw heat out of the baffle, and it makes a bit of noise. Then as the stove heats back up, it groans a bit more.

Tings and pings when first starting up is pretty common. Even if the Blower shuts off while just coals in the stove will cause some groaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.