How many chain sharpening per file

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a couple of packages of files last year (stihl brand) and I usually only sharpen my saws up after about 2 tanks of fuel. Touch up sharpening for the most part. Just wondering how often I should be breaking out a new file. I think there was 5 in a pack for about $7 so I don't expect them to last long.

Also do you file the rakers every time you do the chain? I have been doing mine about every 3rd time and seems to be cutting well.

You will be able to feel when the file is no longer cutting. At times you will need to clean them with a wire brush. I do the same thing with the rakers
I just file the chain when the cut quality starts to diminish, sometimes only one tank, sometimes 4 or 5 tanks.

You will get quite a few sharpening out of a decent file. I started buying my files at McMaster Carr (work just lets me piggyback an order when we order anything from them ) and they are better files for the same money.
The Lowe's, Home Depot, TSC, files just were not cutting it.

at the bottom of this page,
http://www.mcmaster.com/#chain-saw-files/=3mxn37

The SaveEdge files (sponsor link on arboristsite.com or also from Baileys) are excellant and $14/dozen + shipping
Lifespan depends on how many strokes and how hard the chain is. Rotate in the holder a few degrees when you feel them not taking the bite. It is obvious.
I store them in their original paper, or in soda straws or clear vinyl tubing taped together. If they touch each other in the tool boxes or rattle around, they are toast real fast.
It is obvious when they go dull. Then they feel like a box store file......

I have a single 3/8 file I've had for over a year now. I just touched up another chain yesterday and it still bites well.
I will probably pick up a couple more before next spring just so I have them in my case (since they are so cheap.)
If I'm felling myself and cutting on the ground I touch up about every 2 tanks. If I'm on a log pile I can go pretty much all day.

WoodButcher

Some of my files are real real old and still work well. On rainy days when I'm all caught up I'll draw my files over a 6" long copper water pipe I hammered flat on one end and it cleans them up well. Clean up my flat files that way too. As far as giving you a number as to how long they last I dunno maybe a 100 sharpenings.

As far a filing rakers go meh!...You'll know pretty quickly when they need attention lot's of guys around here will use an angle grinder and very quickly take 'em down a few .001th or so. Tighten up the chain, lock down bar in vise and you can do a 20" chain it less than 2 minutes. I suppose for someone just learning it may be better to do it by the book a few times first to better understand the mechanical advantage the rakers serve.

A couple tips to make your files last longer.
About every 2-3 teeth, tap the END of the file ( usualy the last 1/2 inch is smooth-no cutters) on the side of the bar a few times. This will dislodge fillings from between the cutters to make it cut better and last longer.
If you keep your file in a tool box with other tools, chains etc, wrap it in a rag (a length of old blue jeans worx good) so the cutters aren't getting knoked off from being hit by other tools. The tool box in my truck has a "special" place for 1 file only and I keep the cardboard box of remainig files in the glove box. In the shop there is a hole drilled in the bench where the file is returned to after every filing.These ideas won't make them last forever but should get you more sharpenings out of a file.

It was probably around 25 years ago I bought a dozen files. They just last and last.

When I was sharpening my dad's saw, I could destroy two files in just one sharpening. He'd cut with a dull chain, heating it up and then run it into wet ground which would put a temper on it. The file would just skip along the tooth and get a shine on it. A grinder sure would have been nice.

Run your files across a bar of soap, or wax, lightly, this will help prevent filings from wedging between the teeth of the file. There are specific wire carding units for cleaning files out, a wire brush tends to dull them some. Most hardware stores carry them.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I have been turning the file in the holder every couple of teeth, but not tapping it to dislodge the filings. Also the straw idea would work well for my situation, as I keep all my saw tools in a rubbermaid tote on a shelf. My saws rarely see the back of a truck as I can cut all I want within 5 minutes of home. Overall the softwood we have here is pretty easy on chains, the dirt and rocks take more of a toll when I touch them by accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.