1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How many cords can you splitt in a day?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by smokinj, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wellbuilt home

wellbuilt home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NY
    No way a split is a split, every one stacks here . I louse time in the cold weather because of breastfeeding . The kids take break inside . No high beams at the wood pile . John

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. johnsopi

johnsopi Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD near DE&PA;
    I used to rent a splitter 2 or 3 times a year,75$ a pop.Could splitt a 4 or so cords. Found a splitter for 300$ off of CL
    now just for a hour or so at a time.Much better then hurting myself.
  3. Hansson

Hansson Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sweden,Leksand
  4. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    ^Here in the States we call those trees...limbs.
  5. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    or chipper bait! cool machine
  6. Hansson

Hansson Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sweden,Leksand
    It takes trees up to 12 Inches but i think that i to big to handle.Bigger is not always better.
    I usually get trees in 8 Inches when I thin out the forest.

In southern sweden they have bigger trees like oak beech but up here north of the sixty latitude they dont survive..
    Maybe they do in the States ?
  7. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Exactly my 1st thoughts Hansson... that's a nice machine only if your surrounded by a stick forest. Being N of 60* I can see why that so useful esp if you were disabled. Around here we have a Brownie Girl Scout chapter that splits wood that size as part of their good deed/outdoor recreation program.
  8. ken999

ken999 New Member

Loc:
    Southern Adirondacks
    With my brothers Timberwolf TW6 and the rounds stacked next to it, I can bang out a full chord of 16" wood in 35-40 minutes. That machine is pretty quick and has a hydraulic adjust 4 way wedge.

Around the house I split by hand and never really timed myself. It's pretty slow this year as I'm cutting my wood 24" for the OWB instead of my PE insert. BIG difference in effort required. I'm using the maul and wedges alot more than I used to for the shorter stuff.
  9. DBoon

DBoon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    I answered this question for my self this weekend. My father-in-law and I bucked and split tow and a half to three full cords of hickory on Saturday and Sunday - about 8 hours total. Probably three hours to buck, so that leaves five hours to split, or about 2 hours per cord. He does about 1/4 of the work, so that would mean that I could do a full cord about every 2-1/2 hours, no stacking (just tossing into a pile).

I don't want to do this every weekend. I'm definitely feeling it in my upper body.
  10. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    My 8 pound maul and I have split and stacked about 1.5 cords in a day, max. That didn't take all day, perhaps 4 or 5 hours, but I was getting tired and I think any additional hours might have resulted in decreasing productivity. I usually can't accumulate more than a cord or so of rounds at once, since I split a few whenever I get a chance. That is the big advantage of hand splitting, I think; I can split for 10 minutes a day if i want, since there is no set-up time, I simply pick up the maul and swing away.
  11. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    How much wood would a Wood Duck chuck if a Wood Duck could chuck wood? %-P
  12. ROBERT F

ROBERT F Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CENTRAL COLORADO
    One cord a day by hand is alot! I hand split about 1/4 cord at a time, then stack it. Once either I cant pop a round apart in one or two blows, or my blows start becoming errant, its time to do something else for awhile. I usually split for about 30 mins before work and 30 after work.
  13. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    My little woodhauler trailer behind my ATV holds 1/6 of a full cord (1/2 of a face cord). It takes about 45 minutes total from the time I leave the house, go out in the woods, cut up a tree, hand split it, haul it back to the yard, and put it in the wood museum stack. So, I guess I could do a full cord in one day without too much trouble, but I never split only. That would be a cord in a day from the whole process, taking in to consideration that I have a slow running, dull cutting saw, and a slow swinging can't believe it splits anything 6# maul! ;-) Ha ha!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.