1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How Many Cords Do I Buy?!?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Cross Cut Saw, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cross Cut Saw

Cross Cut Saw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Boulder, CO
    I've thought about that but doesn't the average cord weigh in the neighborhood of 4,000 lbs? That would be a lot of trips...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. KarlP

KarlP Feeling the Heat

You should be able to tow a small trailer behind your Subaru.

You can get one of these - http://www.harborfreight.com/1720-l...-12-inch-five-lug-wheels-and-tires-94564.html - put sides on it, and stack a face cord on end. That would be .33 cord cut to 16" avg, .38 a cord cut to 18", .41 cord cut to 20", or .46 cord cut to 22". Or if you are getting 6 cords, that is 18 loads @ 16", 16 loads @ 18", 15 loads @ 20", 13 loads @ 22".

A hitch and a trailer like that (with the ever present 20% off a single item coupon) is probably cheaper than a reliable pickup truck or delivery charges in the long term.
    northwinds likes this.
  3. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Yes it will I have found as long as the air and sun can get to it lthe stack no matter the size dries well. Make sure you stack it though not pile ! This is a point of argument I have noticed however the one year I did not stack properly the pile was rotted underneath and we lost about 1/8 of the pile.

Good luck
    Pete
  4. bluedogz

bluedogz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Maryland
    Perhaps. A cord of green wood is a heavy beast.

Just check your towing capacity. I'd bet there are Subaru forums out there much like this one that might have some input on what you can safely pull with your rig.
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Random thoughts . . .

Subarus are pretty decent vehicles and while not 1-ton dual wheeled trucks if you get a small trailer to tow behind you may find that useful in the long run on scrounges, Craigslist wood deals, etc. . . . or just make friends with a guy or gal who owns a pick up. ;)

Room to store 5 cords . . . sounds decent . . . contrary to what some folks think . . . there is more to life than just firewood and having a yard for the kids, wife and you is important . . . looking at alternative stacking methods such as holz mietes or the various ways folks stack higher (while remaining safer) may be an option to squeeze in another cord of firewood.

I think kiln dried wood will be your best choice. In looking at one local firewood dealer I see that they have "seasoned" wood . . . but they define their seasoned wood as wood that has been cut and left in tree length for a year and then on the day or so before delivery they buck it up and split it . . . my own definition of burning seasoned wood in my EPA woodstove is wood that has been cut down, bucked up, split and stacked for at least a year prior . . . I will almost guarantee you that attempting to burn the firewood dealer's definition of "seasoned" wood will make you question if wood heat is worth it as most folks would be disappointed trying to burn that "seasoned" wood in an EPA woodstove.

I tried the compressed wood blocks once . . . they worked OK in my Jotul . . . but I definitely preferred regular ol' firewood.

Finally, trust me . . . we will not get sick of you . . . as long as you provide us with pics of your stove, stacks of firewood and steaming cups of coffee.
  6. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Here are a few pics of what I have found to be the safest way to stack high in a bin. The sides are the biggest thing to keeping it straight and not falling. You may not need to do this with 4*4 pallets but anything taller and it may be a good idea.

Attached Files:

7. Snotrocket

Snotrocket Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Maine
    Who are you buying your kiln dried from? I live about 40 minutes north of you and know someone in between us that sells it.

I would say that with your epa stove you should be able to get by with 4 cord or so. Use the propane on days it's not super cold out and save the wood for when it's 0 degrees outside.
  8. chuckie5fingers

chuckie5fingers Member

Loc:
    60 S. of Chicago
    have you thought about having blown insulation put in?
    they can do it from the exterior of the house I am told and its suppose to be pretty effective.
    our house is similar to what you describe and we were quoted $1700 for the insulation.
  9. Cross Cut Saw

Loc:
    Boulder, CO
    I've thought about it and actually met a guy that owns an insulation business but I thought it would be far more expensive, I'll have to look into it.
  10. Cross Cut Saw

Loc:
    Boulder, CO
    2 1/2 cords 1 year + seasoned, 1 "seasoned" from a dealer, and 2 green. I'm hoping the green does some good drying just in case I need to use a significant amount of it.
    Going to get a moisture meter in the fall and check it all out then.
    2012-06-20 16.46.04.jpg 2012-06-20 16.46.33.jpg

Attached Files:

raybonz likes this.
  11. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Looks good CCS, depending on what the green wood is it may be ready in time. If you need to stack more wood you could make some bins like Pallet Pete did out of pallets, I copied his idea, it allows you to stack higher in a smaller footprint.
  12. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Look'n good
    The green stuff, If it's not oak, should be good to burn later this winter.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.