How many Flues do folks have in their house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wildflush

Minister of Fire
Dec 27, 2022
MA
I ask this since there is a guy who lives near me who has four class A flues sticking out of different spots on the roof of his ranch. Today white smoke was coming out of two of them. His house must be cooking with multiple stoves running in a ranch. He’s had multiple cords delivered since the Fall. Some in large piles and some stacked on pallets now. I would assume the wood he is burning is not seasoned hence the smoke pouring out of his stacks. I’m OCD to a point but how many stoves does one need unless you live in a large farmhouse which I get.

3 in mine but only one woodstove. One is oil the other is a propane insert

I ask this since there is a guy who lives near me who has four class A flues sticking out of different spots on the roof of his ranch. Today white smoke was coming out of two of them. His house must be cooking with multiple stoves running in a ranch. He’s had multiple cords delivered since the Fall. Some in large piles and some stacked on pallets now. I would assume the wood he is burning is not seasoned hence the smoke pouring out of his stacks. I’m OCD to a point but how many stoves does one need unless you live in a large farmhouse which I get.
Ask him.

Will do when I see him out stacking. Interested in his setup. I guess I never seen a home like this. Definitely unseasoned wood and not top covered.

Two -- one cookstove and one heating stove, both wood-fired. We also live in a ranch -- 2200 square feet. It makes sense to me to have more than one stove in a ranch. Ours is on the order of 75 feet long and it certainly does not hurt to heat the two ends.

When we lived in a two-story farmhouse, we only had one stove. The upstairs (mostly bedrooms) remained pretty cold all winter. Now that I think of it, all the rooms were pretty cold, some days. Except within about eight feet of the wood stove.