How many logs in the stove + suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckdeuce

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Feb 11, 2008
Western, PA
I just bought and installed a 2000 sq' (rated heating area) wood stove I bought at Lowes. I installed it in my finished basement after receiving my first shocking electric bill. We love it! I'm still a bit nervous about it, however I know it is safe. My question is, how many logs can I put in it at a time? Typically, after getting it hot with plenty of coals I place 2 or 3 logs (18") and shut the air almost 80%. I would like to heating the house through the night. How mant logs are safe? Also, my home (ranch) is 2000 sq' and I would like to get more heat upstairs. The only place for the heat to reach the main floor is is by going up the steps. I installed a return vent in the ceiling of the basement with the idea that it would pull some of the heat upstairs if I ran the furnace fan. This has provided little results. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Deuce

#1 Welcome to the Hearth. :coolsmile:
#2 You need to tell the members what type of truck your driving.( So to Speek) Make/ model. Otherwise we are blind. All different types of stoves carry different traits. Some people may have your same stove and they can lessen the school of hard knocks.
#3 @ the top of this page upper left, there is a search window. It can help you find previous threads on heating from your basement ect... Your layout is important re: your stairwell, kitchen area, heat source location, blah, blah..... I heat my house with my stove in the basement and it works fine for me with the help of a fan in the upper stairwell and cold air returns through the floor space that should have spring loaded fire dampers (if you were to do the same).
#4 You can also do a search on the hearth wiki located on the top of this forum that you can click on to.
#5 The people here will go great lengths to help you so give them the info they need.
#6 Hope this has helped to get your ball rolling. ;-)

What you need are paths for the cold air upstairs to return to the basement to replace the hot air flowing up the stairs. However, what you generally don't want to do is a) run the furnace fan (you'll lose a lot of heat in the ductwork) and b) cut holes in your floor/basement ceiling unless you use some sort of heat-activated damper.

You should be able to fill the firebox and damp it down; definitely more than 3 logs for overnight. You say you shut the air almost 80% but you probably can go even more. Just as an example, our draft control is numbered 1 through 4 and most times we cut it down to 1/4 to 1/2. However, we also have a cat. in our stove so it burns nicely at that.

Move that stove up to the first floor, problem solved.

You can put as many logs in your stove as you can fit as long as you don't force them in. Your stove is designed to burn wood and its just as happy full as it is half full. You just don't want to damage glass, secondary burn tubes, baffles, etc. I know that feeling where at first you are kind of afraid to really heat it up. And it's best to start slow and build up cause it's certainly safe that way. You want to be careful you don't over fire your stove regardless of how muc wood you put in and that is more a function of air flow control generally than wood load. Get a stove top thermometer and a flue stack thermometer and use them. You don't normally want to exceed 700 on either for very long. If you can't keep a full stove below that temp even with your air shut down all the way, then get a flue damper. Read, experiment, and enjoy the warmth!

Status
Not open for further replies.