How many splits per day are you going through

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With my old stove I burned one wheelbarrow full a day, and my house temperature would swing from 72-82 depending on the stage of the burn. With my current stove I burn a wheelbarrow full in two days and my house temperature is always between 70 and 74.

I look at my monthly usage istead of daily to tell me if I'm using more or less wood. It eliminates the split size issues. Since I stack my wood in 12' racks 6' high if I use 1 rack per month I'm doing good. I use a little less in the shoulder season and a little more if we get several weeks of colder weather. So, I need 6 of my racks to get through a season but I try to have 8 dry and ready just in case.

I was wondering this myself lately but I know there are so many variables between posters. I have some splits that are huge and I bought a load of small 14-16" splits. I was also wondering how different posters fed the stove, I thought I was the only one that threw a split or two every hour or two when Im home working but I see Im not. I like to keep my office at 71-72. Ive been going through 15+ these last few days and thats assorted size splits.

I have a Equinox and I'm burning around 50 cubic feet of wood a week with 20o / 32o day night temps.
below 20o and the wood use can double.
I try to keep the house around 67/ 72o .
3000sf I keep the stove top @ 450 most of the time . John

basswidow said:
I have a large tupperware storage tub (looks about the size of a large igloo cooler). I fill it in the morning with 24-30 splits.
Your splits are definitely smaller than my splits if you can get 24-30 of them in any sort of storage container.

i measure my firewood by the "face cord" box,which is 1/2 cord if 24" wood is in box....i use 20" wood in my jotul
when the temp drops below 0 °F to -20 °F 1 "box" goes me about 1 week.
th_dryingracks005.jpg
th_march162009009.jpg
th_march162009008.jpg
th_SPRINGPUTTOGETHER094.jpg

i like "little rounds for little fires"....when you don't need much heat

This is the first year that I have ever counted any splits. My 11 and 7 yr olds help bring the wood in, so it gives them some entertainment and helps there math skills by counting how many we put in the basement each week. In Nov. we burned about 100 splits pr week, that would be about 14 or so pr day, temps were often above freezing a little bit. In Dec. our temps have been often below 0 and usage has reached about 150 or 160 pr week, so more than 20 pr day. I kind of like counting the splits for some reason, but I have no idea how many I have or how many is in a cord, I do know about how many cords of wood I had stacked before heating season, so next year I should be able to calculate no of splits in a cord, and how many I may need for 1 heating season.

Status
Not open for further replies.